• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hi,

I need some suggestions for a roof top observatory. I have searched and searched but have not come up with an ideal solution.

I live in inner city Melbourne Australia. Our home is 3 levels with the top level being a roof top patio with uninterrupted views 360 degrees.

This level is paved with ceramic tiles. I have a Vixen gpd2 with a vc200l scope and various imaging bits and pieces. As long as I walk carefully, vibration is not a problem.

I want to house the scope to avoid the continuous setup/take down work. Melbourne's weather is a pain - it can be crystal clear at 7.00pm but totally clouded over by 8.30pm!! Makes setting up a bit hit and miss.

A small shelter would be all that I need. The problem is that it needs to be easily removable as we may be moving in the next year or so. I also need to get the bits up a stairwell- so big panels are out of the question unless I can screw them together up there.

Security is not a big issue, since I cant see how a cat burglar could get a scope/mount down down too easily, and besides it could not be seen from ground level anyway.

Hopefully someone has come up with something that would suit? All suggestions welcome!

TIA
cheers
Gary

#2 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Look for one of the Rubbermaid plastic storage buildings and make it a roll off by adding wheels to the bottom.

#3 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

Hi,I need some suggestions for a roof top observatory. I have searched and searched but have not come up with an ideal solution. I live in inner city Melbourne Australia. Our home is 3 levels with the top level being a roof top patio with uninterrupted views 360 degrees.TIA
cheers Gary

A small lightweight roll-off enclosure could be an answer - don't know if you'd need a small safe electrical heater [100w] to kept condensation at bay within :question: Slight vibration for visual is ok but for AP it needs to be quiet about the house and yourself seated and still during exposures :grin:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics