2 Sketches of Jupiter 11/22+23/12

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

We have been getting some good seeing for the Thanksgiving holiday. Here are 2 sketches, one of the GRS region the other on the opposite side of the planet.
I was able to see Oval BA, the black spot and the GRS with it's following turbulence. The NTB following the GRS was dark and segmented. The SSTB belt"above" Oval BA was stretching across the globe but was darkest on the preceding side. The EQZ had prominent festoons with them anchoring on the NEBs border. The NTRz had a yellowish beige cast. The NTB was prominent with the NTBn border being darker than the rest of the belt.

In the second sketch on the border of the SPR on the preceding side you'll see a light oval which I believe some are referring to as the Little Red Spot. I researched this a bit and found reference to a LRS+1 on a map by D. Peach from last season. It too is on the SPR border and most likely is the same feature. So it looks like it's been around for a while. It did have a slight pink tone. It was a low contrast object which went in and out of view with the seeing. I hope to see under better conditions as it's transiting the meridian. I did make out some light rifting in the middle of the NEB which is on the following side of the sketch but near the meridian. The SEB was interesting in that the SEBs border was distinctly red. The belt was darker on the north side and tapered away to the preceding side. The NTRz was yellowish beige as it's been this season. Tonight the EQZ appeared slightly yellowish as well, the first time I noticed this. It would be cool if the EQZ exhibited more color. I've read about apparitions with vivid color in the EQZ. One more thing about color of features, the NPR tonight appeared brownish to me whereas the SPR looked grayish.

I hope everyone is enjoying the views of Jupiter. It's great to see it so high above the horizon. Thanks for looking.

Clear and steady skies. Dean

Sketch #1 11/22/12 7:25 -7:50 UT CM l 136.30 CM ll 184.51 CM lll 238.53

171x no filter Apodizing Screen Seeing 2.5 - 2 Transparency 4 - 5 hazy with passing clouds

Sketch #2 11/23/12 8:57 - 9:20 UT CM l 350.44 CM ll 30.53 CM lll 84.84

171x no filter Apodizing Screen Seeing 2.5 Transparency 5

Santa Cruz, CA

Attached Files

#2 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Attached Files

#3 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Northern Arizona

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Great job Dean !

#4 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Starrancher. Looking forward to tonight. Looks like it will be clear. Good luck with your observations of Jupiter. Dean

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:51 PM

Dean, that oval LRS +1 is in the north, right? Yea, it's pretty low contrast set against the gray of the NTZ, no color I could make out. It is evident, though, as you show - and it should be the same one I observed.

You picking up some reds in the SEB? Cool, still pretty much ruddy in my smaller aperture. But, yes, some much darker features streaking across it. One distinct right above the trailing GRS wake as you've shown.

You captured some white features in the EZ as well, cool. They seem pretty weak at this CM. ALso, yes, the EQ is a bit tawny, isn't it? I really noticed this when you and George were discussing the NTrZ as yellow. Indeed you are correct. And so it the EZ.

Great observations, Dean. Did you see much of the NEB rift? I see some light albedo you captured. Maybe at Sys I 350 it was just not there. Closer to sys I 250 if my calculations are right.

#6 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:04 PM

Yep ! My "CSC" isn't showing a perfect forecast for tonight but it's close enough I guess .
:shrug:
:grin:

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

Dean

Nice sketches particularly the SEB GRS wake. I think we are in ftair agreement of the structure of it. Too, on the other hemisphere I see you nailed the GRS of the north in the polar zone. Very nice stuff. Nice feature placement too.

Your right about other apparitions having a stronger toned EZ but it seems to normaling out from the last apparition where it was a confused frothy mess. Now it seems like its settling out and the classic sweep of the festoons is back. I haven't seen a prominent hue in the EZ comparable to the early nineties where sulphur grey was the norm for at least one apparition I can think of. Might've late 80s. You couldn't miss it tho. My C8 at the time really showed it well.

Again, nice work and accurate feature placement. That you get by on 170x is wild. Your scope I'm sure could've handled 400x on a good night.
My couple times this week with the 8" made 200x kind of the base mag I'd return to with 300x + for the details like in the GRS wake. I like that the ten is affording you some tone where I only saw grey as in the GRS of the north.

Pete

#8 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Thanks Norme and Pete.

Norme,

I did see some rifting in the NEB. Seeing wasn't the best but I was sure I saw some. My CM coordinates could be off for the 2nd sketch. That evening I was pretty tired from doing a lot of driving in the day. I'll be looking for the rifting you mentioned. From your description it sounds prominent.

Pete,

I'm glad that you have been able to observe at some high magnifications. Your 8" scope at F/9 sounds wonderful. I hope some high mags come along soon. Though often here on the coast 171x is about the highest for Jupiter. On a good night 208x and on very good nights 256x and higher.

Thanks again and good luck with your observations of Jupiter.

#9 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

Well the fact is though you nailed the same things I did and then some. That SEB was a tangle of detail eh?

Pete

#10 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

Just came in for break . GRS is crossing the meridian at this point . Only took out the classic Tasco 60mm . Seeing could be a tad better as past 91x is pretty much empty magnification . Took it up to 122x but really didn't see anymore than at 91x . Fine details are just real tough in the 60mm although 9 regions are easy to spot including the two darkened polar regions . A slight bit of festooning in the equatorial zone from time to time and the GRS showing with its lightened notch into the SEB . All in all not too bad for a tiny scope .

#11 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Excellent work Dean.
The other night while using my C9.25 SCT, I had one the most detailed views I've ever had of the planet.

#12 Rich (RLTYS)

Rich (RLTYS)

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: New York (Long Island)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

Excellent sketches, thanks for the views.

Rich (RLTYS)

#13 bhuloka

bhuloka

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:52 AM

whoa, starrancher! you saw all that in a 60mm? Must be good seeing, or you just have sharp eyes!
I was out at the same time with my 16", watched the whole GRS transit. In mediocre seeing, with a few good moments, at 389x I could see some details, oval BA (though not the nearby dark spot), sharp-edged "swirls" in the turbulent wake of GRS, a faint, narrow, but distinct EqZ belt. 207x was a nice, crisp view, and I could just barely pick out these features at that image size, but not in detail. Some of you guys must have bionic eagle eyes!?

#14 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Rutilus and Rich,

Thank you very much. This holiday weekend has been a lot of fun.

Rutilus, Glad you had a great view the other night . It is so inspiring when the seeing is excellent.

Starrancher, I too am impressed by what you can see in your 60mm scope. It's amazing what experience and great equipment can accomplish.

Bhuloka, I hope you get some great seeing for the 16" of yours. I would love to see Jupiter on a great night in that scope. I've been interested in hearing about the 16" Hubble scope since a larger telescope might be in my future sometime. For what you reported it sounds like it has great optics.

Dean

#15 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:54 PM

Hi Dean,

Looks like you joined those of us who had good seeing for Thanksgiving with this excellent pair of observations. :) You got a similiar view of the turbulence following the GRS as I got the next day--very well rendered. The GRS looked a little less pale and more intensely pink/salmon to me then it has looked. Did you notice that? The NTrZ continues to look yellowish to me, too.

That diagonal darker northern component of the SEB that you show in both your sketches is quite striking visually. I have yet to get as good a look at that dark spot following BA as you got for this drawing.

I haven't seen that spot in the NNTB either--I'll have to be on the look out. It might have been visible in my Nov. 19th observation but it would have been close to the preceding limb and therefore harder to see.

You mentioned you were tired from holiday driving. That may have been why you used the CMII and III values from your first observation in your second. I looked it up for 0857 UT and CMII is 30.4°; CMIII is 87.5°. Having several clear nights in a row is nice but can cause a major sleep deficit. :grin:

#16 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:34 PM

Michael,

Thank you very much. The GRS does seem less pale and more pink/salmon than earlier this apparition. The oval in the NNTB I believe is LRS+1. Last night I timed it on the meridian and got this CM ll coordinate: 284. 82. It's color is similar to the GRS but not as intense.

Thanks for the correction on the coordinates on the 2nd sketch. I think it was off a bit anyway since I checked the time a bit late while making the sketch. I've had 4 nights in a row now of Jupiter observing, and looks like tonight will make 5. Gotta take it while I can.

Thanks again Michael and looking forward to your sketches and reports of Jupiter. Dean

#17 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:46 PM

Dean--I'm so glad you posted those sketches--it saves me from trying to describe (or sketch) what I saw a couple of nights ago--you're dead on with that first sketch: I had the GRS just near the western limb, about to set, and the wake region covered nearly the rest of the width of the planet, with that series of white "lozenges," the general sloping trend from the equatorial side to the STrZ, and that striking dark strip underlining it all, again very slanted from the equatorial side toward the south, as you have drawn it. And then the series of festoons, like an arcade of arches in a cloister--it was wonderful, and so is your sketch!

Later that evening, seeing had deteriorated somewhat when I came back to see the view which you have in your second sketch--perhaps the planet had rotated a bit further than your position--here I was very taken by the great rift in the NEB that Norme brought up in another thread; I also saw a small oval in the SSTB.

Thanks again for posting. I've gotten a bit lazy about sketching--the views themselves have been so captivating--so it's great that you and others are keeping track of this apparition.

-geo.

#18 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Just came in for break . GRS is crossing the meridian at this point . Only took out the classic Tasco 60mm . Seeing could be a tad better as past 91x is pretty much empty magnification . Took it up to 122x but really didn't see anymore than at 91x . Fine details are just real tough in the 60mm although 9 regions are easy to spot including the two darkened polar regions . A slight bit of festooning in the equatorial zone from time to time and the GRS showing with its lightened notch into the SEB . All in all not too bad for a tiny scope .

Ive got a color sketch Im posting tomorrow night made with my 70mm that echoes your finds sans the festoons and not for lack of love but I couldnt reel em in. .Our mags and seeing sounded similar too. Bravo on your festoons catch.

Pete

#19 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

...here I was very taken by the great rift in the NEB...I also saw a small oval in the SSTB.

Wow, I am please you caught that rift, Geo. Personally, I think it shows better visually than in images. Images are so very detailed showing lots of swirls. Visually, it's a broad unresolved and distinct feature contrasted against the NEB.

Yes, the sloping dark belt is quite striking. And it doesn't end there, further round the planet it continues as a bold streak with some distinct sections. On more than one night, those features were complimented by brighter features streaking northward beyond the very end of the wake (with the GRS over the preceding limb at CM I ~250.) Beautiful.

#20 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:34 PM

Geo,

Thank you very much. I understand what you mean about sketching in that it takes a lot of energy. It was hard for me to get back into sketching after having a long break, and when I started again I felt rusty in the technique. I really enjoy seeing your sketches and all the details you pull in with your scopes. I look forward to seeing your excellent work and reports.

Norme,

The NEB rift is really big over 60 degrees in longitude. I was able to time the end of the rift as CM ll 343.35. The beginning of the rift I haven't timed yet but estimate as aprox. CM ll 280 degrees making the rift over 60 degrees in length. This NEB rift makes this part of the globe very interesting.

Dean

#21 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dean, great! A few weeks ago I sketched that rift, if memory serves, at about CM II 270. The latest, if the time was entered correctly, was closer to CM II 240. If it stretches to CM II 340, that makes it even longer. In any case, I have no doubt it's about 60 degrees. CM II does shift noticeably within a few days, so I'd believe the beginning is different from earlier observation. I am just not sure which way it's progressing, toward 240 or toward 300? It may be at 280 as you say and my time input was off. Off the cuff, thinking about some festoons near the GRS, they do /seem/ to move toward the trailing edge - in the direction indicated by festoons as they spill into the EZ. That would be increasing along CM II longitude, right? Interesting, lemme check...

#22 starrancher

starrancher

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

Ive got a color sketch Im posting tomorrow night made with my 70mm that echoes your finds sans the festoons and not for lack of love but I couldnt reel em in. .Our mags and seeing sounded similar too. Bravo on your festoons catch.

Pete

Thanks Pete . That 60mm Tasco 7T is 54 years new . Was built the year I was born in '58 , so that in itself is a cool deal . The optics are vintage Royal Astro that are always highly acclaimed . This little jewel is an amazing performer .
Looking forward to seeing your sketch . It amazes me how you guys can do that in the dark at the eyepiece .
:bow:

#23 saemark30

saemark30

Apollo

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Dean,
What scope are you using? Very good detail.

Here are 2 sketches, one of the GRS region the
Clear and steady skies. Dean

Sketch #1 11/22/12 7:25 -7:50 UT CM l 136.30 CM ll 184.51 CM lll 238.53

171x no filter Apodizing Screen Seeing 2.5 - 2 Transparency 4 - 5 hazy with passing clouds

Sketch #2 11/23/12 8:57 - 9:20 UT CM l 350.44 CM ll 30.53 CM lll 84.84

171x no filter Apodizing Screen Seeing 2.5 Transparency 5

Santa Cruz, CA

#24 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

Saemark30,

Thank you very much. My scope is 10" f/6 Newtonian made by Cave 1971. I did some modifications like a 3 vane spider, Protostar 1.83" secondary,
flocking and a Moonlite focuser. This telescope over the years has given many fine views.

Good luck on your observations of Jupiter. Dean

#25 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Norme,

I don't think your timing is off for the beginning of the NEB rift. I was only able to time the end of the rift as it passed over the meridian. The 280 degree was an estimation for the beginning of the rift. Lately I've been doing some timings of features. But I will have to wait until a series of storms pass through.
I've read that the NEBs border's jet stream blows towards the preceding limb whereas the NEBn jet stream blows towards following limb side. The NEB rift being in the middle must be effected by both jet streams. It would be interesting to see a Hubble video of this feature.

The other night I was able to sketch the rift again and will post this tomorrow when I get a chance.

Hope you have clear and steady skies. Dean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics