Photo

Moving Dobs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 garyp1936

garyp1936

Ranger 4

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I would appreciate suggestions about how to attach wheelbarrow handles/wheels to a truss tube dob, particularly the Orion XX12i. Is the material of the Orion 12" rocker box up to the stress of moving it with handles? Are there better methods to move dobs over uneven, rough surfaces?

#2 coopman

coopman

Gemini

• Loc: South Louisiana

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Have you tried using a hand truck?

#3 Peter B

Peter B

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Parker, Colorado

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:05 PM

I use a ScopeBuggy with my XX12i and it works well moving over river rock and grass.

#4 cpr1

cpr1

Viking 1

• Loc: Louisiana

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

You could make them pretty easy with T nuts and ring bolts. Just make sure you seal the exposed particle board with some kind of sealer. Use wood or aluminium square tubing. Wheels from Harbor Freight are cheap.

Shouldn't be too hard to make.

#5 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

How far do you have to move? I mounted a set of wheels under the ground board on my LightBridge 16 and I roll it out to a small platform in my back yard on a track made from 2'x4' sections of 1/2" plywood. The track is easy to lay out then pick up and it provides a clean smooth path for my scope.

#6 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:17 PM

In considering wheelbarrow handles/wheels for the Orion 12 XXTi, take into account that the XXTi's base configuration differs significantly from the square/rectangular rocker box many other (particularly more premium) truss dobs have. In relevant part, the bottom of the XXTi is comprised of a circular upper part which rotates in azimuth (horizontally) atop a TRIANGULAR bottom part. This has two important implications for the structural design of adding an axle and wheels:
1) you may to have to place the axle for a pair of wheels at a significant offset from the scope's center of mass in order to mount the axle on the base at a broad-enough width to provide enough stability and support for the base;
2) If you go with a two-wheeled configuration, you'll need to design it so that either the wheels are easily removable or folded out of the way, or else so something under the third apex of the triangular base (furthest from the axle attachments) has some sort of chock underneath to level the scope when it's set down. You could instead go with a three-wheeled configuration like a scope cart.

IMHO simpler is better; adapting a standard hand cart is a much easier, cheaper, more flexible alternative, given the different nature of the XXTi's base. If I had instead e.g. a Starmaster dob with a rectangular base, the wheelbarrow-handle configuration would be considerably more attractive.

But the one you have to please and make things convenient for is yourself. I'll be interested to hear what you decided to do either way, and how well it seems to be working out.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics