CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Another interesting read from my friend, Neil...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

English.

Neil's third installment in Sir Patrick Moore's Practical Astronomy Series from Springer.

This time Neil discusses Classic Telescopes: A Guide to Collecting, Restoring and Using Telescopes of Yesteryear. Much of the volume is devoted to the evolution of the author's (and my) favorite design; refractors. There also is an interesting discussion of glass type cooling properties. Despite a slight refractor emphasis, there are very interesting sections on reflectors and catadioptrics as well. The volume concludes with a section on restoration and maintenance of vintage telescopes.

Highly recommended.

- Jim

#2 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:57 AM

I've been reading through Neil's book for the past few days and am impressed with it as well. Besides the sections Jim refers to on optics, there is one heck of a lot of history here as well -- not only of telescopes, but of the key individuals of the 18th and 17th centuries as well.

It's a perfect book for a cold, rainy, winter night. Pour a cup or a glass of something warm, sit back and get comfortable, and read until dawn.

John :refractor:

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics