• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

This one is on my short list to do, but right now I am trying to complete Carbon Stars and H400 next year (at night) and then next summer when days are longer doing the Sunspotter.

But one pin that I have always thought about doing is the Open Cluster.

Anyone done it and how long it took. The idea of sketching 50 clusters sounds like it might take a while. Back when I sketched the Moon I usually could do one or two sketches a night.

#2 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kitsap County, WA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:19 PM

Preston! I completed the open cluster in 2009 after working on it for several years. I enjoyed it but after 50 or so clusters I got tired of them. The bright ones are lovely object but the dimmer ones starting looking the same after a while! I would still do it knowing what I know as I learned much about open clusters! Good luck!

#3 Michael Rapp

Michael Rapp

Gemini

• Loc: Dickinson, TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

For the longest time, I avoided any of the observing awards that required sketching. It was part because I didn't think I would be good at it and it seemed like too much work. Well, maybe not too much work, but I'd be able to only do 3-4 objects a night instead of 10 or so.

However, I now look back on my log books, especially my Messiers that I did in the 1990s, and I have absolutely no recollection of what most of these objects looked like. So, I am actually re-doing my Messiers and sketching all of them.

Another reason I avoided the OC award is that I thought it would get boring after awhile. OC after OC after OC after OC.

I think the key is to work on several awards at the same time. Keep that variety up. Thankfully, there are a lot of awards to choose from.

#4 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the response guys. That sketching element had me a little nervous too. Cliff if you enjoyed the Open Cluster pin you should do the Globular Cluster pin... I really enjoyed it.

#5 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Got the glob pin and it was one of my favorites!

#6 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:01 PM

Michael, I agree with you on working several clubs at a time! I have the Herschel II, Carbon stars, asterism, comets and solar system going now! When I started with the Messiers, I worked only that club and did not finish it for 6 years but started the globular club and then figured out working several and completed my master observer after 10 years!

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:40 PM

Cliff,
I too have several observing clubs going at once. I find that is the best way to do it since you always have one at least near done and one just started. For me that helps since it keeps me motivated to finish and not start some other observing project.

I really need to finish my Lunar II pin but where I am living right now makes for observing at the house pretty rough since the yard has so many darn trees. I may have to plan a trip to the local park about a mile away on nights that show features that I need to complete it. Lunar II really teaches you about the Moon.

How far into the Carbon Star pin are you?

Michael,
Very impressive on sketching the Messiers, too have observed them all back in the 1990s when I was a teenager, and some of them I don't really recall how they look. I don't think I have done the Virgo grouping of Messier galaxies since 1999 or 2000.

#8 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:05 PM

I am only one star into carbon stars so I reall am not working it but have about 75 Hershcell IIs completed and 50% of the solar system work. I just started the Asterism program too.

#9 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Cliff,
I completed the Solar System pin a few years ago, right when the updated it. Before the update completing the pin would be pretty tough since the two Mars projects could only really be done when Mars was at opposition which only happens approximately every two years.

I really enjoyed the program though.

#10 cliff mygatt

cliff mygatt

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:59 PM

I am enjoying it as well! It is nice to have a project I can do from the front yard, for the most part! I got my observervations of Neptune and Uranus at my dark sky site this fall!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics