• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

From last night's haul. I filled the hard drive while fighting dew the whole evening. I decided I have to do something more predictable about that than pulling out the wife's hair dryer, so a DewBuster and a DewNot strip is on the way.

Attached Files

#2 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

One more.

Attached Files

#3 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

Good work Jeff! I hope your wife's hair dryer is quieter than my wifes! At 2am its a frightful sound.

Glenn

#4 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:54 PM

Thanks Glenn. The hairdryer is a real howler -- thank goodness none of the neighbors have complained... Without it, I would get about half a dozen runs, then have to pack it in, lately. It's been really damp here the past few nights. Then, after removing the dew, it's about 20 to 30 minutes until the system settles down enough to image again. We've been getting good seeing, so it's a real frustration to let that time go by unproductively.

#5 old_frankland

old_frankland

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: San Francisco Bay Area

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:56 PM

Jeff
Have been fighting the dew out Livermore as well, and only this afternoon ordered a dew heater strip for my C9. Made it through the summer nicely with the hair dryer, but, like you, the last few nights have been a battle.

#6 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:49 AM

Hey Jeff great shots! I've been using a hair dryer as well..and I've never tried the dew strips...I guess I was always afraid of them messing up thermal equilibrium. I'll look forward to hearing about your results!

#7 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:22 AM

Very nice images Jeff....! :waytogo:

#8 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, guys, for the kind words.

Brad, I'll let you know. I'm certain the hairdryer does mess up thermal equilibrium, as I can most definitely see it in my quality graph in AS2 if I image too soon after blasting the dew -- I see a steadily increasing quality line (showing that it started off badly and was improving as it adjusted to temp again). And the final results from those runs were relatively poor.

The idea behind the Dewbuster is that it's got two temperature probes -- one for the scope, one for the air, and it keeps them at a specified differential, so applies the minimum amount of heating to keep the scope above the dew point. I have seen good reviews from other (Deep Sky) imagers on the forums.

#9 Kecktastic

Kecktastic

Skylab

• Loc: Broken Hill NSW Australia

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Impressive depth of detail Jeff, seems like the hair dryer did the trick.

Regards
Trevor

#10 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

Thanks Trevor. I'm feeling a little behind the curve here, with all the great results from the mono imagers using Winjupos. Seems like when I decided on the DBK, there wasn't such a large difference between the mono and color results. My next upgrade may be a mono cam and filter wheel. I was hoping to hold out until the next iteration with USB 3 and a higher frame rate and/or higher resolution was available. The software technology is moving quickly!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics