how does this work

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ken J

Ken J

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

hey I bought a 6" Edmond telescope at an auction. I thinks it a reflector. mirror at one end eye piece at the other. tells what I know about telescopes. But I always had a want to have one. It came with a few different books but no manual.I have a Sirius PlossL 17 mm eye piece also an Orion OR12.5mm and a Orion 2x-3x Barlow lens. how do these go together or am I missing parts
thanks
Ken

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

I would suggest you goog;e something like "how a reflecting telescope works" to get some basic info. Then try it out. The eyepieces go in the focuser and the shorter the focial length (number in millimeters) on the eyepiece the higher the magnification. Right now the moon is near full and visible all night -- would be a good first target for getting acquainted with your scope.

#3 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

You can probably also Google for a manual. See if you can find a model number on it or post an image here. Great advise to practice with the Moon, it'll even be up a little before dark tonight so some practice in the daylight would be a good idea too. The best views will be along the line between dark and light on the Moon. If that all works out look at that bright light rising in the East just after dark.

Al

ps welcome to Cloudy Nights AND Astronomy

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

Ken, Welcome to Cloudy Nights! You've come to the right place to get help with your scope! The members here are eager to assist you, so that you can start enjoying your scope.

Here's a link with a drawing of a reflector telescope, showing and naming the different parts of it. This may help you a little to get familiar with it.

Link

The barlow is used to magnify the view. You would insert it in the focuser first, then an eyepiece. I would suggest getting used to the eyepieces first, then try the barlow.

Please let us know how you're doing! Also, if you could, we'd love seeing a photo of your scope!

#5 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Start with the 17mm eyepiece - that's your lowest power. The 12.5 will be a medium power eyepiece, and the barlow is used to either double (2x) or triple (3x) the power of your two eyepieces.

#6 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

A trip to your local library and a request for help to the reference librarian there should get you started with some elementary books about using telescopes and viewing the night sky.

Phil

#7 thomas68

thomas68

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: North west Indiana

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

Welcome,try U-tube there are some good videos.

Tom

#8 JohnMurphyRN

JohnMurphyRN

Mariner 2

• Loc: Near St Louis

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:15 PM

If that all works out look at that bright light rising in the East just after dark.

Al

WELL PHRASED! Quoted for emphasis :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics