Jupiter Animation w.Europa - 11-18-2012

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

• Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hello everyone! I do not post very often in this forum. I tend to stay in the DSLR realm. However, I recently dusted off my old ToUcam (840k) and tried my hand at planetary imaging for the first time in quite some time. In fact it has been ~6 years since I did any planetary work. So do not judge the quality to harshly....

On the night of 11/18/12 I setup the scope for a short test run to see if I still knew how to image. After checking my planetarium software I realized I would be catching Europa's shadow and transit. So I elected to make it a short run to create an animated video. I acquired 62 usable videos with various settings (I wish I hadn't changed settings now!). I was using an 8" f/4.9 newtonian at ~f/20. I would normally use my 5x powermate but my chopping of the OTA for DSLR imaging resulted in me not being able to reach focus with the 5x PM. So I used my 2x PM + 2x barlow. The combo seemed to work just fine but would prefer to use my 5x PM. I am going to work on getting this resolved for future imaging.

Videos acquired with K3CCD (@ 10fps), stacked in Registax 5.1 (~540 frames / image), aligned / calibrated in CS3" (the different settings resulted in different color balance for some sets and luminosity), video compiled in Windows Movie Maker.

Acquired a 60s video every 2 minutes (ie- one minute on - one minute off). I did skip a few minutes a couple times at the beginning but that's ok. This is a *BLEEP* ton of work :tonofbricks: and will keep it reserved for special events or nights of great seeing. I suspect when I get to Tucson in January I will have much better seeing more often!

I will post a couple of the better still frames too.

Jupiter Animation on Youtube!

Clear Skies,
Jason

#2 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

Another shot..........

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Nice efforts Jason! :)

You might like to think about extension tubing to increase the image scale if that helps...you can get up to 3.5X out of a 2X barlow with 100mm of extension...

#4 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 25 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

It is a ton of work, very worth for your wonderful results. FWIW, I used Sikuli quite successfully to automate the mundane portions of the animation process.

Mike

#5 jgibson1@emich

jgibson1@emich

Viking 1

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:15 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Much appreciated.

You might like to think about extension tubing to increase the image scale if that helps...you can get up to 3.5X out of a 2X barlow with 100mm of extension...

I thought about that near the end of that night! Well noted and will certainly try that next time if I cannot get the 5x PM to work.

FWIW, I used Sikuli quite successfully.....

Never heard of that but will check it out! Thanks for the suggestion.

Clear Skies,
Jason

#6 zAmbonii

zAmbonii

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Ypsilanti, MI

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

Jason, looks like we both were out imaging at the same time! I started a bit later and stayed out till the fog shut everything down for me here at home.

Doing captures for animations can be a PITA, but it isn't that tough to do :). I've done them for long enough that I have my processing down enough to automate most of the things I can.

First thing I would do is ditch Registax and use Autostakkert2!. You can do batch stacking with AS2! and it also centers the planet in the image so you won't have to go back and manually align each image. AS2! also has an offset mode where you can move the planet one side to avoid deleting a moon in the final stack.

After stacking I do have to go into Registax 6, to apply wavelets, and RGB align things, but that is simple repetition. After that I batch load all the images into layers in photoshop. I made some VB scripts to do some autocolor to even up the brightness and color correct. After that I can just put together the animation straight in PS.

If you would want to get together one of these days, I could show you some of my processing procedure.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics