• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Frisco, Texas

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I got my new T-Rex mount with the Sky Commander and both are working great. But when I tried to use it with my SKYFI wifi unit, iPad 3, and Sky Safari it is not connecting.

I have used this setup with my Orion Sirius and my CGEM many times so I thought I knew everything I needed to know, but I obviously have something wrong because I am getting a message that indicates it is unable to connect. I have the Sky Commander selected in Sky Safari, have it set to the altaz pushto setting, and I have the SKYFI unit selected in my iPad Settings.

When I click the connect button the green light on the SKYFI blinks and then I get the unable to connect message.

If anyone has an idea of what I might have set incorrectly I would appreciate your input.

#2 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

• Loc: Dublin, Ohio

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:53 PM

Try hitting the Reset button on your SkyFi and see if that helps.

#3 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Also check out these potential issues/fixes: Bottom of page.
http://www.southerns...munication.html

#4 btschumy

btschumy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum

• Vendors
  • Loc: Longmont, CO, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Lane,

What serial cable are you using with the SkyCommander? You cannot use the Sirius mount cable as the two devices have different pinouts. You need a serial cable designed to work with SkyCommander.

Bill

#5 Chucky

Chucky

Messenger

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Bullet #6 in the SkyFi Trouble Shooting section of their web site pretty much sums up what Bill has indicated.

<< Make sure you're using the correct serial cable combination for your telescope. >>

#6 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

Thanks guys,

Sorry for the late response but I had pressing business that pulled me away for a week.

I was indeed trying to use the same cable I used for the Sirius mount, but I see now that is not going to work. I found a diagram that shows how to build the correct cable and have purchased the crimping tool and materials I need to do that. I will make the cable this week and try again to make the connection to the SkyFi and iPad.

#7 GaryJCarter

GaryJCarter

Ranger 4

• Loc: Fairview, Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

Where is this schematic made available?

#8 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 AM

Do you still have the cable that comes with the Sky Commander used for Flash programming (the one that's connected to the serial adapter - see below)? I believe that can also be used to connect to the SkyFi.

Posted Image

#9 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:01 AM

http://www.southerns...-SkyTracker.pdf

#10 jloweva

jloweva

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:09 AM

Guys:
I am having the same issue. I tried building a homebrew cable using the two pinout diagrams but for some reason it does not work. Currently, I am just using the serial/db9 that came with skyfi connected to the serial db/9 that came with sky commander, reversing the ends of the serial inserted into the sky commander db9 and it works perfectly. But my goal is to eliminate all that excess cable/db9s. I bought black phone cable at radio shack, an rj11 crimping tool and some rj11 4-pin connectors, followed the pinout diagrams, but still no luck. Any thoughts? Would love to talk with someone who had been succesful with this.

#11 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

Well I put it off for a while because I was too busy, but I am going to try building the cable right now. I will let you know my results. If it doesn't work then I will do the same thing you are doing with the DB9's. Assuming I have a DB9 with my skyfi. I actually bought the starseek unit from Orion and I don't remember it coming with a DB9 cable, but my memory sucks so I need to check the box it came in.

#12 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 PM

Cable is made, but I don't guess I can test it until I get some stars in the sky. I think I will have to align the TRex mount using sky commander first and then establish the connection and see what happens. Unless I am missing something :question:

#13 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

jloweva - my cable did not work either. I am certain I am creating it correctly so I think something else is wrong.

I am wondering if Sky Tracker and Sky Commander really do have the same pin-outs. Those instructions are actually for Sky Tracker not Sky Commander.

I did not get a serial cable with my Sky Commander or my SkyFi unit. So for now I am not going to be able to use my iPad at all with my TRex as I had hoped.

#14 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Well Mike just PM'd me and pointed out something I misread in the document. So I need to reverse two wires and the cable should work. I will give this another try.

#15 jloweva

jloweva

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I forgot that one essentially needs to do the opposite end up side down, as you are inserting it in a mirror image. In other words, rather than having the wire run straight, I had to introduce a 180 twist. Works perfectly and greatly reduces clutter. PM me if you want to talk live.

#16 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I am trying mine tonight, got some nice clear skies out there.

#17 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Success!

I had two of the wires backwards, I connected Transmit to Transmit and Receive to Receive but it had to be Transmit connected to Receive. Duh.

Now I can just align with Sky Commander and find things with Sky Safari, just as I wanted. Not that Sky Commander is not a pretty cool little device but I just find it easier to search for something in sky safari and then move the scope until the pointer is over the object. This is all so cool, sure beats the old days.

#18 k9yr

k9yr

Vostok 1

• Loc: Far North suburbs of Chicago

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I had to build my cable as well, but it would be nice to purchase one that was 1-2 feet long already built. There is a business opportunity for this cable...hint hint

#19 Lane

Lane

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I thought I would post this here too. You are looking directly at the ends of the wires in this diagram. To make the wire you just need a crimping tool for a 6P plug.

Attached Files

#20 AstroGabe

AstroGabe

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:33 AM

Lane,
Your diagram has been very helpful in my attempt to get my SkyFi connect to my Sky Commander. Works like a charm now with my new DSV-3! Thanks!

Gabe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics