• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amdizack

amdizack

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:42 PM

Can't find a lot out there on user reviews. Anyone using this to assist with auto guiding? Interested to hear the good and the bad.

Thanks!

#2 amdizack

amdizack

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Goodyear, AZ

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

49 views and no comments. Should I abandon the idea using this unit?

#3 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I don't own this guidescope, but the majority of imagers ... including myself ... use a short tube 80mm.(400mm. FL) or 50mm.(162mm. FL) refractor for guiding. My 80mm.(320mm. FL) guidescope works extremely well when guiding my imaging scope at its 1920mm. focal length. The 600mm. focal length of the Celestron scope would be overkill in most imaging setups unless you plan on manually guiding your imaging scope.

#4 Ron (Lubbock)

Ron (Lubbock)

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: West TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

600 mm focal length might not be so bad if you are attaching it to a C8 with 2032 mm focal length, for example. I have a C8 and I used a Stellarvue 60 mm scope + 2X Barlow (450 mm focal length) as a finder scope with an Orion SSAG with good success before upgrading to a more sophisticated on-axis guider. 450 mm focal length was adequate for use with the SSAG due to its sub-pixel resolution, but it was not even close to high enough focal length for manual guiding. I now use an on-axis guider (ONAG) instead of the guide scope, and it is tremendously better due to guiding at the native focal length, and due to the ease of finding a guide star.

#5 WarmWeatherGuy

WarmWeatherGuy

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

I have the NexGuide autoguider. After reading the reviews I bought a C5 for the guide scope for $180 used. The reviews indicated you need a long focal length and good light gathering. I also use an f/6.3 reducer on the C5.

I had problems with it but then I read on CN that the guider does not do pixel centroiding. Instead it just uses the brightest pixel. The star image will be on many pixels, especially if the star is bright or out of focus. Once I started making sure I was in really good focus and rejecting very bright stars I had successful guiding sessions.

Watch this YouTube review of the guider. In Britain it is called a Synguider but it is the same as the NexGuide.

#6 herrindude

herrindude

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Fairhope Alabama

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

I use a celestron 80 mm f7.5 for a guide scope and except for the cheap rack and pinion focuser, it works great on my c11 and cge mount. I just received a orion starshoot autoguider today ,actually, and am looking forward to trying it out as soon as the mass of clouds gets out of here. I was using a orion statshoot mono imager but bought the autoguider to save weight on top of the scope. After I use it I will let you know how well it works, but as for the scope I am happy with it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics