• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ItsMeTony

ItsMeTony

Lift Off

• Loc: Maryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,
For my newly aquired scope, I need to get a dewshield and heater. Does anyone have thoughts on the astrozap products? I see thay sell one that is both heater and shield. I know alot of folks prefer make their own. I also need to get a powertank... any thought on this too?

Thanks,
Tony

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hi Tony:

I prefer a separate un-heated dew shield. The dew shield needs to go on and off the scope every time you use it so that you can replace the corrector dust cap. If it incorporates the heater, then you have to deal with stringing the wiring each time. I like to leave my dew heater and controller attached to the scope with the wiring nicely routed and attached so having the heater/controller separate from the shield works for me.

I think the astrozap flexible dew shields are the best. I've had others. They are strong, yet flexible when cold, and are flocked on the inside to eliminate reflections.

I use the DewBuster controller and Dew-Not heater straps. The Dew-Not straps are inexpensive and work well. The DewBuster controller is expensive, but is the Cadillac of controllers and worth every penny. It has temperature sensors that monitor the temperature of the OTA and of the ambient air. The controller maintains the right temperature difference to keep the dew away while using the minimum of power, and adjusting itself during the night as conditions change.

-Dan

#3 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

I second everything Dan said ... and I mean everything. :grin:

#4 jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Stanford, California

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the information. I was just about the post this question for the 8SE... lotsa fog/humidity near San Francisco! I have the Astrozap sheild... but just does not cut it all night... that Pacific Ocean seems to have a lot of moisture to it!

#5 Danzup77

Danzup77

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

I run a Dew-Buster controller with 3 Dew-Not straps (OTA, EP & finder) and they run off their own seperate Duracell Power Pack 600 (telescope has its own)and they will run 12hr a night for a week no worries!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics