• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: De Soto County, MS

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:57 PM

"And if you are not using a Paracorr and the good eyepieces in your Dob, you might be in for another treat."

I'd bypass extras for the old scope and focus on the new toy, the refractor instead, like a pier to clear the tripod which will allow for more comfortable, direct, straight-through observing, if so inclined, in addition to extra two-inch oculars, if lacking.

Refractors do not require coma-corrective devices.

Cheers,

Alan

#52 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:32 PM

"And if you are not using a Paracorr and the good eyepieces in your Dob, you might be in for another treat."

I'd bypass extras for the old scope and focus on the new toy, the refractor instead, like a pier to clear the tripod which will allow for more comfortable, direct, straight-through observing, if so inclined, in addition to extra two-inch oculars, if lacking.

Refractors do not require coma-corrective devices.

Cheers,

Alan

Alan:

I know you don't seem to appreciate the capabilities of a large Newtonian but the refractor is a companion to that Newtonian and both can benefit from high quality eyepieces. The combination of high quality eyepieces plus a Paracorr in a 15 inch Newtonian can provide those nice pinpoint stars all the way across the field of view, the difference being that they can be about 3 magnitudes dimmer and still be seen.

And it is true, faster refractors do not require coma correctors but they do require correctors for field curvature if sharp to the edge views are to be obtained...

:ubetcha:

Jon

#53 sniperpride

sniperpride

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Using Delos eyepieces at the moment, and looking at getting a 3-6 TV zoom for the refractor.
Also, since this is my first venture into refractors, Is there more to dew control that I should be concerned about than just using the "dew shield"
Should I invest in those heating strap thingies :crazy:
I go out in the winter and such living in MN, not sure how dew will affect this new scope.

#54 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

The integrated dew shield will delay dew formation for only a short time. There used to be foam-lined dew shield extensions offered, I've forgotten the brand, but AstroZap currently offers a felt-lined shield which slips over the end of the scope's shield and would help extend observing time. I've been looking at the electric dew controllers, and they're the best, particularly if you observe for several hours, with heating straps for the objective, eyepiece, etc. I haven't decided which method to choose myself...probably the electric system.

Cheers,

Alan

#55 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:21 PM

The integrated dew shield will delay dew formation for only a short time. There used to be foam-lined dew shield extensions offered, I've forgotten the brand, but AstroZap currently offers a felt-lined shield which slips over the end of the scope's shield and would help extend observing time. I've been looking at the electric dew controllers, and they're the best, particularly if you observe for several hours, with heating straps for the objective, eyepiece, etc. I haven't decided which method to choose myself...probably the electric system.

Cheers,

Alan

There are a number of options. What I find works best is to live in a dry climate... :)

Jon

#56 Sky Muse

Sky Muse

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

"There are a number of options. What I find works best is to live in a dry climate..."

Wouldn't we all, but I'm thankful for a relatively dark sky right outside my front door. Unfortunately, my lifelong love of trees has hampered my view.

Cheers,

Alan

#57 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

Northern Minnisota in the dead of winter--probably a touch cold with dry air so dew would probably not be a problem...wanting to be out in that cold, dry air is another story.......

#58 sniperpride

sniperpride

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I changed my order from the Stellarvue 105mm to 115mm. Havent even looked through it yet and my aperture fever kicked in. :drool5:

#59 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Smart move.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics