• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

I left early from my Thanksgiving dinner party because we haven't had good seeing since Nov 11 and I didn't want to miss any chances this close to opposition; here's Jupiter and Io on Thanksgiving night, Nov 23 at 0419UT with my C11 at F/25. If I stare at Io long enough I can convince myself that it has a 3D quality relative to Jupiter. Thanks Glenn for giving me some good ideas on how to process my images in AS!2 and Reg6!

Pete
Posted Image

#2 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 25 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Great capture Pete !

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

Good effort with some nice detail there Pete..! :waytogo:

A lot of folks do a seperate rgb alignment on the Gallilean Moons because quite often they won't come into alignment when the disk of Jupiter is.....you then "recomposite" the moon back in when aligned. :)

#4 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:07 PM

Good work Pete! Jupiter looks a little blue, but one thing I noticed is that it seems to be blurred in the direction of rotation. Maybe the videos were too long in duration?

Glenn

#5 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Looks great. I was in Silver Spring with family and it looked like a great night. Alas, I had no scope.

#6 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

Nice shot Pete :grin:

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#7 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:09 PM

Pete, excellent shot! Try realigning the color on Io, the R looks 1px shifted up. You can also try aligning only to Io in AS2!, but you need to click on 1 point alignment, then manually draw the box. Thanks for posting

Regards,
Steve

#8 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:02 AM

Pete the alignment may need some work. Hope you don't mind but here is my stab at it. First I selected the whole planet and did a white balance correction in MaximDL. Then I aligned the color planes as shown, also in MaximDL. Its not meant to be the definitive fix, I did it in a hurry. Of course this throws things off for Io, it has to be treated separately.

Glenn

Attached Files

#9 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

Thanks Freddy, Darryl, Glenn, Paul, Brian and Steve! Glenn, the image time from start to finish was about 3 minutes (173 seconds) which was probably too long. I'll try to figure out how to use WinJupos to derotate the images. Thank you for doing the white balance correction and color plane alignment, the color looks much better. Today I'm going to reprocess the image from the beginning; first I'm going to follow Steve's suggestion of aligning only Io in AS!2 with the single point alignment, then I'm going to fine tune the wavelets for Jupiter in R6 using new Denoise and Sharpen parameters, perform a new deconvolution in AI3.0SI and finally attempt to derotate the images with WinJupos. I'll try to post the result later today or tomorrow at the latest. The help you all have offered is so great, I really appreciate it!

Here are the R, G, and B TIF files that resulted from the original run in AS!2. They're resampled up to 250%. If anyone wants to play with them please do!

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions!
Pete

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 swalker

swalker

Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

• Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Nice result.

#11 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thanks Sean!

Today I reprocessed my Jupiter image by derotating it in WINJUPOS thereby reducing the blurring that Glenn mentioned; also I aligned Io in AS!2 as Steve suggested and "recomposited" the moon back in as Darryl mentioned. I still have to redo the wavelets in Reg6 using new Denoise and Sharpen parameters but for now this is where the image stands:

Pete

Posted Image

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics