Prodigy 6 versus Nexstar 6SE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

It appears to be a little more expensive than the Nexstar and I get it, the thing is about as handsfree and beginner user friendl y as a scope can get and maybe in that is why it looks little... well different? The legs seem spindly, the decal on the tube seems fitting for an adolescent [whose Dad thinks its cool to blow a grand] and I just feel overall it seems non formidable. The Nexstar looks like its ready for business and while this seems ready for playtime. I guess its geared to be inviting to those who might be intimidated by the prospect of astronomy, but Im glad I got my Nexstar first and I hope they dont do away with the line with this as its replacement.

Then again, Im not getting it... why not just add the self starting electronics to the Nexstar and save the bother of the cheap looking mount and childish paint job, but again if only to attract the skittish.

Hope the Nexstar line is safe.

Pete

#2 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

Well if C dumps the NexStar line, (pardon me for being blunt) they would deserve to go out of business. It may be their most popular line of scopes. Don't think they are in any danger.

Agree with your Prodigy comments.

#3 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

This looks like a Celestron attempt to steal some of the Meade LS-6 market. With a much lower price, it will probably succeed. Product quality will likely decide the outcome.

#4 Widespread

Widespread

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

The recent issue of Astronomy magazine had a review of the SkyProdigy. I've never seen them give a negative review, but it certainly wasn't glowing. The reviewer stated that the GoTos were out of the FOV, but acted like it was no big deal.

To me, having the added cost and complexity of a camera on board would only be worthwhile if the GoTo accuracy were better than that of the SLT mount (which is the same thing as the SkyProdigy without the camera). Unfortunately, it sounds like it's about the same.

I have a feeling that it would work better if the gears didn't have so much slop. I mean, how much more can worm gears cost?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics