Photo

Jupiter Nov 23 0440UT in fine seeing (new images!)

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: The NoVa White Zone

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

This is from the excellent Thanksgiving night seeing we had here in the US mid-Atlantic. This was the first night I really took advantage of the automated capture capabilities of FireCap - I was asleep during most of a four hour session. I used autorun to capture 5 minutes per color every 20 minutes, resulting in 128GB of data! It took 17 hours to derotate all those SERs in WinJupos. This is probably the best of the night. CPC1100 at f32, Flea3, Astronomik RGB filters.

Kevin

Attached Files

#2 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Criminy! Superb Kevin. You upgraded to a C14 and did'nt tell us - right? :cool:

Your capture procedure is amazing! With falling temps I have to shiver in the dark chasing focus (even if it is Arizona!) Your process is excellent as well.

Congratulations on this stunning image!

Glenn

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:33 AM

Criminy! Superb Kevin. You upgraded to a C14 and did'nt tell us - right? :cool:

Your capture procedure is amazing! With falling temps I have to shiver in the dark chasing focus (even if it is Arizona!) Your process is excellent as well.

Congratulations on this stunning image!

Glenn

.....I echo Glenn's plaudits Kevin! :)

#4 Hillbrad

Hillbrad

Viking 1

• Loc: Nashville, Tennessee

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

I'll third that. I wouldn't have thought twice if you said that was a C14. Amazing image Kevin!
I think your implementation of winjupos went way beyond theory and showed some significant results. I'd like to hear some more about the workflow on your derotation if you get the chance

#5 Freddy WILLEMS

Freddy WILLEMS

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Hawaii, Honolulu

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

Detail looks great !!

#6 aaube

aaube

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Trois-Rivieres, Canada

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Very nice indeed!
A "me too" here. Really though it was from a c14!

Sincerely,

Alain

#7 Mike Phillips

Mike Phillips

Soyuz

• Loc: Swift Creek, NC - 35.682 N, 78.743°W

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

VERY VERY Very cool. You've got me rethinking my capture routine!

Mike

#8 Paco Yepes

Paco Yepes

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Córdoba (Spain)

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

Excellent image, congratulations.

regards

#9 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Below is my step-by-step writeup for "long video" derotation. Keep in mind that most folks using WinJupos are doing "short video" derotation, where they shoot a bunch of standard 60 second AVIs/SERs over, say, twenty minutes, stack each one, then use WinJupos to derotate and stack those stacks. Instead, I'm shooting 5 minutes per color and derotating those long videos. In practice, you can't really exploit Firecap's autorun capability to full advantage (imaging while sleeping!) using the short-video technique, because you'd have to shoot short videos all night long. I shoot 15 minutes (RGBx5min each) every 20 or 30 minutes all night long, which autorun can do.

1. Take one short video (60 seconds, red or green is best) to use as a reference frame, then take your long videos. I took 8 minutes each color on Saturn and 5 on Jupiter. Take SERs - WinJupos doesn't like AVIs much greater than 2GB

2. AutoStakkert2: stack the short video normally

3. WinJUPOS: Recording>Image Measurement. Enter the PNG created by AS2. You might want to sharpen it a bit first with Registax wavelets, but I'm not sure this makes a difference.

4. WinJupos: Tools>Derotation of video streams. This is the heart of the procedure. Original video is the long one, enter the start and end time (they may update themselves). Enter the image measurement file you created in Step 3. Select Corrected Video, and Start. WinJupos will create a new video in the same folder. The derotation will be centered on the middle of the time period of that video (the "reference time") - it seems that you cannot select a different time. WinJupos can derotate all your videos at once in batch mode - let me know if anyone wants details, and I'll post them here. Otherwise repeat this step for all your videos. You can use the same image measurement file for all your videos as long as the planet didn't change orientation during the night, since all WinJupos uses it for is to match orientation and size. Grischa confirmed this.

5. AutoStakkert: Stack all your derotated SERs

6. Registax: Wavelet sharpen each stacked image as desired. Save each image without altering the Winjupos name - WJ will read the times without needing manual input. (You may want to do this step last, on the merged RGB files. I do it here because I have the impression that WJ will do a better alignment on already sharpened images, but I haven't really tested this.)

7. WinJupos: Recording>Image Measurement. Create new image measurement files for each image from Registax.

8. WinJupos: Tools>Derotation of RGB frames. This is the RGB merge. Enter .ims file for each color, and compile. If you get color fringes, try this step again, setting the LD (limb darkening) value to less than 1.0 for any color channel that shows a fringe.

That's it! My PC took 17 hours to derotate 27 videos of about 4GB each, but I was using a USB2 external hard drive and a fairly old PC. You techie guys all have blazing fast PCs, right? :)

Kevin

#10 GreatGigInTheSky

GreatGigInTheSky

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Santa Clara, California

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:18 AM

Great results, Kevin, and thanks for sharing your process. It's been a while since I looked at FireCapture, but I'll have to look again.

#11 mikotoy

mikotoy

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:44 AM

Nice work and love the processing. Thank you for sharing.

I love Firecapture. Its automation is fantastic (preset filters, focus, guiding and autorun RGB sequencing) and I have not had any issues with the latest build so far.

#12 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:48 PM

Kevin, I love your ability to portray Jupiter at 600 pixels with clarity and smoothness. I'd nominate this image for best C11 Jupiter photo of the year; it's indistinguishable from some of the best C14 images I've seen.

Pete

#13 Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Cheshire, UK

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Awesome image! Very interesting winjupos routine too!

#14 Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:35 PM

Amazing detail@ Congrats :)

#15 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Great image Kevin, well worth the time invested. I, alas, did not get to take advantage of that fine seeing on Thanksgiving night...we were off at the in-laws :(

Clear Skies, Brian :waytogo:

#16 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

One very important point I forgot on WinJupos: In Derotation of RGB Frames, be sure to reduce the gamma for each channel. For some reason, if left to its own devices WJ seems to push the gamma up, resulting in washed out images that are difficult to color balance. IIRC, WJ has always been this way. I'm not sure why, but it's easy enough to correct. On this run I set my gamma to 0.78.

Kevin

#17 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

And a few more images. This was one of the first, at 0410 UT, and is a standard 1 minute per channel image - meaning no WinJupos.

Attached Files

#18 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

And another, from 0621 UT, made with the WinJupos long-video technique. I thought the first one I posted would be the best of the session, but I think I like this one best.

For the record, I had been asleep almost two hours by the time this one was captured. Thanks Torsten! :) I'm working on one more, from 0658, but I'm trying to get Io in that one, so I'll have to post it later.

Attached Files

#19 WayneJ

WayneJ

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: West Chester, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Wow! Great work, Kevin! I can't imagine going to bed and letting my rig run for planetary work (I'm too obsessive about focus!) but these are very encouraging!

Regards,

Wayne

#20 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

In the large temperature drops I have in the desert the focus changes between 1-2 mm over the evening, going out. If you had a really good thermal model and history of the tube I suppose one could automate that - in theory!

Kevein - just to be sure I understand your gamma 0.78 recommendation - was that in (1) WinJupos itself or in (2)capture or (3) processing?

Glenn

#21 bunyon

bunyon

Gemini

• Loc: Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Fantastic stuff!

#22 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

Wayne, Paul and Glenn, thanks for the kind words. Autorun is a great innovation, but focus is the obvious issue. But I find that nights of good seeing here in the mid-Atlantic have temp drops of only 2 degrees F or less, at least over the two hours or so that I'd leave the scope on its own (lots of trees).

Glenn - focus changes 1-2mm? Wow, the desert really is harsh! Even with temp comp, a good forecast and a good model, that would be awfully tough to deal with. I haven't worked on TC yet, but it's on the list.

And gamma is in WinJupos in the Derotate RGB Frames step. (I usually capture each channel at 80% fill on the histo.) I really ought to ask Grischa why it's like this, to make sure I'm not doing something wrong somewhere.

Kevin

#23 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Very nice images there!

#24 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

Last one, with Io, at 0701 UT. I think the color on Io worked out well, but there's not much detail. Somebody needs to do a tutorial on moon imaging! :)

Kevin

Attached Files

#25 astrovienna

astrovienna

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

And a WinJupos strip map of the whole night is here:

http://www.pbase.com...image/147624964

Kevin

Cloudy Nights LLC