Auto-Guiding with Video camera

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John59

John59

Viking 1

• Loc: Round Rock,TX

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I have waded into the long exposure CCD pond and have found that I really do not like it at all. I simply got far more satisfaction from my video cameras for planet and DSO work.I currently work with a Samsung SCB-2000, a Chinese Ntech and have a Stellacam II on it's way. I see a Mallincam in my near future as well. I never had to auto-guide with my current video cameras and do not think I ever will. However that is an assumption. For those of you that participate on NSN, are you using any guiding?

#2 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

yes.. I use my mallincam with an AO unit and OAG...

#3 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think many people autoguide when you get into the mallincam integration times.

#4 GlennLeDrew  Happy Birthday!

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

It depends on:
Integration time.
Focal length.
Periodic error range.
Accuracy of polar alignment.

If you have PEC, use it.

Polar align sufficiently well to obtain a drift in Dec of no more than one pixel over your maximum anticipated exposure duration.

Consider a focal reducer, of course. This both reduces image scale, which suppresses tracking errors, and reduces exposure times, which provides fewer chances for tracking errors to accrue.

Even though my Ultima C8 has PEC, I don't have handbox and so cannot 'train' it. Even so, with a Meade f/3.3 reducer installed, most of my 1-minute integrations are fine, with an occasional image showing a little drift in RA.

#5 mega256

mega256

Viking 1

• Loc: N of Tampa

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Most people on NSN that have round stars and over 40 sec exposures...autoguide....
Autoguiding for under 30 seconds is optional imho.
Not that a good mount and alighment cant do it alone,it can,but the cost of autoguiging is cheap compared to a high end mount.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics