CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Venus and Saturn

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:47 PM

There should be a nice conjunction of Venus and Saturn before dawn 11/27/12. Separation is predicted to be about 40'.

#2 jfaust75

jfaust75

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Florida

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

so was that this morning?or is it tomorrow morning?

#3 Chris Boar

Chris Boar

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver Island, Canada

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

GOt up early to watch it, flipping cloud got in the way again.

#4 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:19 PM

so was that this morning?or is it tomorrow morning?

They are drifting away from each other but still relatively close the am of 11/29/12 at an angular separation of 2 deg 49' on the east coast of N.A.

#5 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

I got up this morning (11/29) to briefly observe the predawn sky. Venus and Saturn are still close enough together this morning to make it extra-convenient to instantly find Saturn with its still-low altitude just before dawn with a full moon still flooding the sky from low in the opposite direction. It's still a very pretty sight, with Jupiter still visible at about the same altitude low in the opposite direction to the west. I got my NP-101 out into the driveway for my first telescopic look at Saturn: worthwhile simply because it's been a few months since I'd seen it. The view of it was less mushy than I'd expected given its low altitude, but it was still quite a bit short of a sharp image. I could intermittently make out brief partial sights of the Cassini division, but it was impossible to hold it in focus for more than a quick occasional glimpse.

#6 rookie

rookie

Good Night Nurse

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:57 PM

Nice report, Chris. I love to see Saturn return in the morning sky. It's my favorite target and I miss seeing it during its sojurn behind the sun.

#7 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:48 AM

Nothing but clouds here all week. I did get a quick look at Saturn one morning, but like Chris only a quick unclear glimpse of the Cassini Division. Still have the rest of December to view Saturn as it gets higher and earlier in the am.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics