• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 helmswatch

helmswatch

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Granite Gap, New Mexico

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have been trying to connect my Meade Lx200GPS to my laptop using Starry Night Pro Plus 6, Maxim DL 5, Starlite Express cam, and Feathertouch Focuser. A number of times it actually worked and was wonderful. But lately the scope connects to Starry Night but when I select "Slew to xxx" the "slew failed for unknown reason" is displayed.
When I go to "Configure" the driver it then tells me that the driver is not loaded, etc. If I close Starry Nights and reload it, the telescope connects but when I select "Slew to xxx" the "slew failed for unknown reason" is displayed again. It slays me that there are times when it works and then there are times when it ruins an observing sessions.

Any help would be appreciated.

Duke

#2 rboe

rboe

ISS

• Loc: Phx, AZ

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

If we can't get you an answer here perhaps one of the imaging forums would have some folks that could help you. My best guess, and it's only a guess, is a bad cable connection.

#3 helmswatch

helmswatch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

Thank you for replying. I have wondered if that is the problem too, even though it indicates that the telescope is connected to Starry Night and the program is tracking where the telescope is pointed and it has worked in the past. It's a mystery.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Step one in troubleshooting this is to switch to a different program. Maybe Cartes du Ciel (free). If that exhibits the same behavior, try reinstalling the ASCOM Platform/driver.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

What driver are trying to configure? Are you using a serial-to-USB adapter? The cheap adapters are usually a major source of communications problems with the LX200 scopes. Also, check for corrosion in the scope's RS-232 port. I could think of a dozen things to check out ... but, it will probably be the thirteenth one that's the problem! :scratchhead:

Good Luck

Jim

#6 helmswatch

helmswatch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Thank you all for your input. This is driving me nuts! I have re-downloaded the ASCOM driver for the Meade LX200GPS many times. I bought Meade serial-USB adapters. As I said, it did work a number of times, but now it does show the scope is connected and if I use the hand control to slew, Starry Night does follow the scope, but when I use SN to slew, it fails and locks up.

#7 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:03 PM

I had trouble with the Meade adapter I bought and switched to a Keyspan adapter. No problem after that.

Charlie B.

#8 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I had trouble with the Meade adapter I bought and switched to a Keyspan adapter. No problem after that.

Charlie B.

I've also used a Keyspan adapter on my LX200 ... for the past 10 years. Never a problem .... works with everything!

#9 helmswatch

helmswatch

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:42 AM

Success!!! It appears that after aligning the scope I did not press "0" on the handcontrol to set the scope to slew to selected objects. Something so simple had me dumbfounded. Thank you for everyone's help.

#10 SkyHound

SkyHound

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies Il.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

Helmswatch...A year after you posted this answer..You saved me a big head ache..So simple yet no doc on this...Thanks!!!!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics