• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Acheron

Acheron

Viking 1

• Loc: Croatia, Velika Gorica

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Hi

Finaly I had a chance to use my telescope after 2 and half months of bad weather, business trips and other distractions.

Seeing was very good during Saturday night and Jupiter was looking very good in eyepiece. Unfortunately, there was a layer of fog, not too thick to hide brightest stars, but thick enought to reduce contrast so catching critical details was not possible. Anyway, I'm happy with results. I have two more sketches from monday evening, but I still need to scan them and make proper adjustments. I will post them soon.

There was a very interesting looking gray patch in NEB, near right edge of Jupiter. It was quite visible cause rest of the NEB was brown colored.

Enjoy!

Clear skies
Posted Image
Jupiter 2012-11-24 20:45UT by Vedran Vrhovac, on Flickr

#2 Acheron

Acheron

Viking 1

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

Here are two more sketches from last night (Nov 26th). Seeing was bad, maybe 2 in scale of 5, but I spent more time catching glimpses of Jupiter during brief periods of steady air. This tactic payed off and second sketch has much more details, especially around GRS.

First sketch
Posted Image
Jupiter 2012-11-26 19:47UT by Vedran Vrhovac, on Flickr

Second sketch
Posted Image
Jupiter 2012-12-26 21:15UT by Vedran Vrhovac, on Flickr

Clear skies

#3 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

Vedran,

Glad to see you back and sketching. :) Even with the seeing you've captured the big, bold features that are making Jupiter so interesting right now.

#4 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ah, Vedran, your second sketch is dramatic. I like the way the wake falls off and the GRS shows some variation in tone. A light smudge in the NPR? They are certainly there. Festoons look fine. Well done.

In your first sketch, I see you captured a faint white feature preceding the GRS. Generally less to see here, but you really captured something that has buggered me for a while. How to sketch that apparent notch in the NEB. It's there, Its apparent. But its hard to make out nicely as you did. Is it a notch or is it one of those brighter features and looks to be notched?

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:20 AM

Vedran,

You have been away a long time, welcome back.
These are very nice Jupiter sketches. You have not lost you touch.
Very fine.

Frank :)

#6 Acheron

Acheron

Viking 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:42 AM

Tnx all :)

@Asbytec
I presume that you are referring to sketch from Nov 24th.

Notch in NEB looked to me like fan shaped patch that was pointing to the south. It had distinctly gray color with tint of blue. I'm not really satisfied with my rendering, I should have tried to draw it more carefully.

#7 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Well, your 26 Nov sketch shows it better. Indeed it's a white fan shaped feature flaring southward with some blue festoon. That would be the same feature. :)

#8 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

Vedran,

Very good sketches of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics