6se vs 8se vs c6 sgt

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Manny818c

Manny818c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

I owned a Orion xt10 and I loved it but I wanted a goto so I sold it and it saving uo for a goto I want to take pics but im not to serious about it I want a telescope that would an upgrade from the xt10 I dont want to be dissapointed what is a good scope for me, I have budget of just over 1k but 6se would be great and with cash to spare but I want to meet or exceed the limits my orion had whats a better choice

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:00 PM

Hi Manny:

First, none of the scopes you listed will exceed what the Xt10 could see. With 10 inches of aperture it gathers more light and can pick up dimmer objects than either the 6 or 8" SCTs. The 8SE would be the closest to it in terms of visual usage.

If you want to take images and are not too serious about it, any of the scopes you list will do fine. You'll be able to take images of brighter targets like the moon and planets, and some of the brightest DSOs like the Orion Nebual and the Ring nebula.

If you want to take longer exposures of dimmer DSOs, you'll need a GEM mount. The CG-5 mount that comes with the C6SGT is an entry level mount capable of longer exposure astrophotography (AP), while the 6SE and 8SE are not.

So, if you want the scope that comes closes to the Xt10, and you want to do primarily visual and maybe dabble a bit in AP, then the 8SE would be a good choice. If you think you might get a bit more serious about AP in the future, then the C6SGT is the best choice. But keep in mind that the 6" scope will be a big step down from the 10" in what you can see with it.

-Dan

#3 Manny818c

Manny818c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

So heres another question if I get the 8se can it be attached to a GEM mount? Maybe later I can understand and really get into it.

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

Absolutely! That's what many of us 8SE owners do when we get the photography bug. The 8" OTA is connected to the SE mount with a standard vixen dovetail. You can remove it from the mount and put it on a gem in seconds.

I have the iEQ45 GEM mount for astrophotography, and the SE mount for visual use. The iEQ45 is a wonderful, solid, accurate mount and I love it for AP. BUT ... when I just want to go out and look at the sky with my own two eyes, it is too heavy, complicated and too time consuming to get set up and align. The SE mount, on the other hand, is wonderfully light weight and simple to use.

Having both mounts is the best of both worlds!
-Dan

#5 Manny818c

Manny818c

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:50 AM

Thanx Dan thats all I needed to know, very much appreciated pretty soon youul see me posting up my pics of my new scope the 8se im sold

#6 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

Welcome to Nexstar forums Manny and glad you got sol.. err comtemplating on the 8se, great choice and great advice by Dan above. :grin:

#7 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:57 AM

Manny, Dans 100% correct here. The 6s WILL show terrific views but you will see a drop in angular resolution so the fiber details on planets and such will appear smoother a d less contrasty. Again not badly but fittingly. Deepsky visual the same thing but even more so particularly on the galaxies. The 8" however strikes a fair balance between the two where the ten with still hold an edge but in the same token you won't feel trounced. The user friendly GOTO could truly make you forget about the 10" edge in the sheer volume of objects it can so handedly present and so easily. I balked at GOTO like it was some invention that bypassed an essential part of amateur astronomy. Navigating ones self among the star fields and recognizing patterns and such was what I believed a true and inseperable part of a night under the stars. All that said I did an about face the first night out with my Nexstar 6se. Watching and hearing that thing handedly slew and point a of a sudden gave me this kid in a candystore fulfillment that I can have it all simply by merit of object name and a few keypad pushes. Then this list tallies in my head with this quiet kind of glee that even though I have no starcharts open and I did NO research in what it'd take to find object "x" it was mine to have simply for want of wishing it. LOL, GOTO is empowering!!!

I still starhop as my other Scopes don't have such mounts and I still value those navigational exercises but all the same I'm a GOTO proponent something I swore could never happen.

At anyrate the user functionality of an 8" GOTO could very well let you forget the 10". Too, those XLT coatings really truly provide impressive light throughput. It is a little more than the 6" but I really am very very confident this is a desicion you won't regret.

Pete

#8 ibase

ibase

Aurora

• Loc: Manila, Philippines 121°E 14°N

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

+1 for the 8SE; initially got a 6SE but quickly upgraded to 8". Mounted it on a CG-5 ASGT and been happy with the set-up ever since. Later got a 4SE OTA, a good compact complement to the 8-incher.

Best,

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics