• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hello all

Here is Jupiter from Friday night, the weather in the UK has been very poor but Friday was a rare clear night, albeit very moist.
I recently upgraded my telescope to an Orion Optics OD300 and this was its first proper outing. The image through my Binoviewers was big and bright, much better than with the SPX200, and when the (pretty poor) seeing cooperated briefly there was plenty of crisp and bold detail to be seen. I loved observing the detail in the Southern Equatorial Belt, the Great Red Spot, Oval BA and the white spots in the STB, and I spent most of my time on these areas, but I did sketch the rest of the disc when the seeing was not so good.

Sadly the azimuth bearing on the new scope is a bit stiff and jerky making manual tracking whilst sketching at high power a bit of a challenge, and there is a bit of off-axis coma (could be the barlow I am misusing as an OCA) and the secondary needs a heater to stop it dewing up because I live in a marsh, so I had to keep hairdryering it. So with all these things combined I reckon I got about 30 seconds of premium observing time in the 45 minutes I was at the eyepiece.
Anyway, I will be making an EQ platform, installing some ball transfer bearings into the azimuth axis, and making a secondary mirror heater, so on my next outing, Jupiter had better watch out!

Attached Files

#2 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Chris,

Even with the battles you went through you came out with a fine sketch. All the features I saw two rotations prior to your observation are still in evidence. :cool:

#3 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

Chris, that's sweet. Love the distribution of gray, tawny, and white. Spot on. I like the way you contrast it all with ruddy belts. For me, the festoons have been loosing their distinct blue, too. Last night captured a bit of it. You make the white ovals look easy. <sigh>

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:22 AM

That's a beautiful rendering Chris and congrats on the upgrade - makes ne feel better bout what I DIDNT see!!! Specifically the thread like details neathe the GRS is beautifully done. I got some similar details but there's no denying you've got it resolved even finer.

Thought I mention Chris: I have been sketching with the pastel pencils and I'm very very pleased with the results. Haven't used it on the Veloure paper as the copier paper with template us proving satisfactory. I like the effortless blending of these compared to PRISMACOLOR pencils where they required burnishing to achieve a similar smoothness. I used yo lecture/demo at art school with this technique and the moment the students got a feel fir the elbow grease needed for burnish blending they threw their hands up. For all that the work was more durable and details could be made photographic but given the softer forms and gradients in lunar and planetary rendering these pastel pencils are about as optimum ad one can get. I'm looking forward to the rich tooth of the veloure paper.

Again my Congrats on the scope and another fine Nuttal piece.

Pete

#5 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:27 AM

Chris,

This is a beautiful sketch. You captured more features than I have seen recently. You are going to like that scope when you get it the way you want it, especially driven on a eq. platform.
Very nice to see this sketch.

Frank :)

#6 Uwe Pilz

Uwe Pilz

Apollo

• Loc: Leipzig, Germany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:30 AM

A beatiful sketch ful of detail and with subtle changings in colours.

#7 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:32 AM

Chris.

Lovely sketch. Beautiful colors. I love it

Andre.

#8 Heidescoper

Heidescoper

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:48 AM

hi Chris,

very good first Jupiter sketch with Your new 300mm !

I hope to see more sketches in the next time from You :D.

Bye
Christian

#9 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Chris,

Nice sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom