Photo

Europa shadow transit 11-26

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:45 AM

This was roughly the view in my 10-inch on Sunday night/Monday morning, right after midnight. Seeing sharpened for a few moments here and there, allowing me to pick up some detail--the dark splotches in the NEB along the EQ side were very noteworthy, and the NTB showed a darker northern border with little crenelations, or what have you--a little overemphasized in the sketch. The SEB had the beginnings of a rift, with a separated dark section riding low on the EQ side. And I managed to make out some lighter zones within the polar regions. It was a pleasing view--despite being out every available night, I haven't seen too many shadow transits this season. Now we're socked in...

-geo.

10-inch f/5 at 220x; 11/26/12 about 12:00 am (UT 8:00).

Attached Files

#2 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:21 AM

Geo! Lighter streaks in the NPR? I get them, too, but previously wrote them off as contrast between two slightly darker belts in the NNTB. I planned to sketch them this time (from last night's observation) despite it all. See it, report it, then explain it.

Yes, during very steady moments, those NTB "little crenelations" poke up like Alfalfa's hair-do. To me, those darker regions on the southern NEB edge have lost much of their prominent blue color. Some can still be seen, but they seem darker than a month ago.

There are some very faint going-ons in the SPR, an interplay of difficult and indistinct light and darker contrast.

Great report in so few words. :)

#3 Dean Norris

Dean Norris

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Geo,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter. Prominent detail in the NEB and NTB. The waviness on the NTBn is really a fine feature. I've seen some lighter zones in the SPR, glad you included them in your sketch.

Thanks for posting. Dean

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

You know what's a reoccurring feature we all seemed to have nailed is the northern edge of the NTB being darker and sharper than its more diffused southern edge. George that is a RICH rendering and I appreciate the care you've put into seeing then drawing it all out. That's really fine work

Pete
PS: I've got sketches from last week I'm referring to that are getting posted this week. They are color and Im still working out the color balance versus lighting.

#5 george golitzin

george golitzin

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:40 AM

Thanks Norme, Dean, and Pete. The rains are here now, so I'm glad I got in one more sketch.

Looking forward to your sketch, Pete.

-geo.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics