• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Allar

Allar

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Jena, Germany

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

I didn't find any threads on this topic so I made a new one. I have recently started to edit some short movies about my visits to different observatories and telescopes. This is maybe a good place to share my work.

Tautenburg Observatory, Germany
The largest Schmidt camera in the world having a primary mirror diameter of 2m and 1,34m Schmidt corrector plate. In this video one can see how the Schmidt mode is changed into Coudé configuration. I also made another short video at the Observatory when they had their Long Night of Stars in October 2012.

Video 1 - Tautenburg Observatory

Video 2 - Long Night of Stars

Roque de los Muchachos Observatory, La Palma
This is one of the first videos I have never edited. In March 2012 I visited the Observatories and telescopes at La Palma. Including the largest 10,4m optical telescpe Gran Telescopio Canarias. The trip to observatories starts 02:47 in the video.

Video 3 - Roque de los Muchachos Observatory , La Palma

#2 core

core

Apollo

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

Thanks for sharing! Absolutely fascinating and relaxing at the same time (for me at least); especially since it's the first video I've every seen that shows so much more details on actual observatory equipment and some of the procedures. Would definitely love to see more of such videos! (oh, and thanks for the text-over that pointed out the secondary - I won't mind having more to highlight some other items; I'm a sucker for info-graphics style video/animations).

#3 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:01 AM

Awesome videos.....what was the music in the long night of stars video?

#4 Allar

Allar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for your comments! The background music in that video is by Longzijun: http://longzijun.wordpress.com/music/

#5 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

This is a must see video:
http://www.cfht.hawa...ht/trailer.html

Best regards,
RefractorPhill

#6 LB16europe

LB16europe

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Spain

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

Nice videos there, Allar, and very well edited. Did they rotate the dome of GTC just for you to film it?

I'm from Spain but I've never been to La Palma. Observing from there is one of my astronomy dreams.

#7 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

If you have access to iTunes, the ESOcast is probably one of the best video podcasts from an observatory out there. They put out one video or so a month.

#8 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:09 AM

If you have access to iTunes, the ESOcast is probably one of the best video podcasts from an observatory out there. They put out one video or so a month.

+1.

I love the ESOcasts.

#9 Allar

Allar

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

I just uploaded a new movie from our local observatory here in Jena, Germany.The 6m diameter dome hosts the 50cm F20 Cassegrain Telescope built by students at Carl Zeiss. What makes it unique is that the tracking system is fully mechanical and no power is needed.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J3Kul2IH5og

#10 BobinKy

BobinKy

Gemini

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Movies from Observatories--this is a wonderful thread--and an essential segment (genre!) in stellar media. I hope more observatories share links to their videos in this thread.

#11 CounterWeight

CounterWeight

Cosmos

• Loc: Palo alto, CA.

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:59 PM

Dont know if this one qualifies but it's been a favorite of mine since he put it up, NOTE... turn your speakers down if wearing headphones!
Set the quality to 720p and full frame....

Very Large Telescope

#12 PhilCo126

PhilCo126

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: coastline of Belgium

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

My favorite is " A night at Cerro Pachon, Gemini South telescope " with time lapse images by Stéphane Guisard :
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=IBYCeiJCrbQ

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics