• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: CO, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

So last night, after about a half hour of lunar viewing, through not-so-great-conditions... aaron decides to pack up. upon doing so, notices that his lens has some smudges that oughta be cleaned up before his next session.

before he knows it, aaron is taking apart most of his scope, attempting to clear a lot of dust that's built up over the years.

However, he makes the biggest mistake of all, and with his scope comming in fresh out of the cold, sprays some windex on the lens. This 'drips' into it somehow and dries!

so is there a way aaron can clean this 'dried-windex' from within his scopes lens?

-- :foreheadslap:

#2 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Your lens is probably an air-spaced achromat. It can be taken apart and cleaned. Just make sure you don't lose the spacer(s)--either a cardboard or foil gasket or little foil tabs--and that you mark the orientation of the lenses BEFORE disassembly. A dot with a sharpie on the outside surface of each lens, in the same place on each so the elements can be reassembled with the same registration as they were taken apart, ought to do it. You can remove the dots with acetone and a Q-tip once the lens is reassembled. Make sure you mark or remember which lens was on the outside (sky end) of the cell and which was on the inside (tube end).

You might need an optical spanner, a homemade equivalent of an optical spanner made of two brads through a short piece of wood, or a rubber strap wrench to disassemble the lens cell (depending on how it's made). Edit: you might need two strap wrenches depending on how tight the cell is put together. And some plastic cells (such as a Meade I once took apart) have some kind of glue or loctite goop on the threads. Be patient and work slowly and carefully.

It's scary to do it the first time, but you have little to lose now.

#3 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks a ton for the steps... i was fearing because i couldn't find any suggestion that this plastic could be separated to clean. Also i wouldn't of had any idea that they needed to be 'aligned'.

This will be quite tough, but as you mentioned, there is little to lose now. Plus i'm sure the forums will enjoy me getting a new scope to quit screaming there is this or that flying objects near so & so moon/planet!

Thanks plenty for your time & courtesy.

--patient (lets hope!)

#4 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Moral of the story: Never spray cleaning solution directly on a lens......

#5 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

L E S S O N
L E A R N E D!

p.s. i thought coming in from the cold had more to do with it, but that'll be the first & last time i spray the funk on my junk!

--funkyfresh

#6 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:15 PM

Moral of the story: Never spray cleaning solution directly on a lens......

Exactly. And NEVER clean when necessary. Wait 5x as long as what's necessary. Dust or smudges affect optical performance very little.

#7 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

and you are about to learn lesson #2: NEVER take apart an eyepiece unless you are willing to throw it away.......
You might get lucky and everthing cleans up and goes back together right; just like Dirty Harry says: "You feeling lucky"...

#8 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Skylab

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

Or as Dirty Harry also noted, "a man's got to know his limitations."

#9 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

well...

i wouldn't say i've found a rubber/strap-wrench, but what i did find was this supposed 'seam' that has these two chunks 0 plastic scrunched together, keeping this lens in place.

right now, i have the thing sporting a nice spot in front of the heater vent, hoping it'll dry away into 'less-clouding'.

I can already tell, how much you all have missed my rants about the moons' mo0n, not to mention the asteroid belt, containing meteor's.

so lets all cross our fingers that this (near)catastrophic-event'll solve itself.

--p00r

:edit: lookin' good so far. Thanks again for all the support & suggestions!

#10 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

lookin' good so far

Sounds like you don't need one, but if you ever do...
http://www.harborfre...-set-94119.html

#11 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thanks for the link, rdandrea. A buddy of mine suggested maybe goin' there if all else fails. He said it couldn't be more than 10 bucks, and here's this set for less than 5!

The 'cloudyness' i was seeing the other night has diminished significantly. However, these "meds" i've been on all summer have truly 'magnified' my sensitivity to any (& all) reflected light... give or take what my situation/environment is providing at the time.

so this slip up may just get my lazy @$$ out there and get a job to buy a new scope! Who knows though *shrug* My ex may of dumped me 'cause she started seeing my true love of this Galileo. I found a link this morning ( http://www.ehow.com/...-telescope.html ) i hadn't thought of leaving the lenses/mirrors secured in the tube to act as the strap-wrench & provide me the leverage i'm lookin' for, but as of yet... to no avail :(

& it's finally starting to hit me, how much pollution + city lights can kill views through a teletoy... i wish i still lived in Thornton.

--citydweller

::edit::

YEA!!! we did it!

last night before bed, it couldn't let go of why there were notches on one end of the lenses. so my 'common-sense-dad' comes along and asks 'what are these for? why not... put this in there (butter knife) and turn? VIOLA! we got's inside (thanks to everyone!) and clean 'em up!

Now to pray fer some clear nights to make sure they're lined-up properly.

::another-edit::

Your lens is probably an air-spaced achromat. It can be taken apart and cleaned. Just make sure you don't lose the spacer(s)--either a cardboard or foil gasket or little foil tabs--and that you mark the orientation of the lenses BEFORE disassembly.

just to make sure we're on the same page... this gasket you're speaking of, my father claims it should go to 'the outside' (between mirror & plastic facing skywards), where as i believe it makes more sense to be sand-which between the mirrors to prevent them from giving too much pressure and cracking *shrugs*

--grateful

#12 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:58 PM

I thought your scope was a refractor? There are mirrors?
If it's a refractor, there should be two elements to the front lens. A flint glass element and a crown glass element. The spacer goes between the two elements.

Let's make sure we're on the same page here: is there a lens in front?

#13 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I was of the belief there are two lenses 'up there', with a 'prism-like-reflector' down in my eyepiece. *shrug*

remember, i'm rookie ish, and have no real way of showing people what's goin' on. On that link i provided a couple posts back, they gave a good idea to keep the lens screwed in, and that's when i used the butter-knife to 'unscrew' the sky-facing plastic, to access the 'lenses'. I'm now told this topic belongs in reflector forum, so aaron is only shooting in the dark, but still appreciates everyone's help.

Out west it looks pretty darn clear, but the East-cityfacing-w/pollution looks hazy :(

clear skies to you ALL

--refracto

#14 droid

droid

rocketman

• Moderators
  • Loc: Conneaut, Ohio

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

you got a photo of this telescope by any chance?

#15 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:53 AM

i typed the first past of my sig into a google.image search and dug up these two... i took a cheesy one that can be found here, but be warned... The Power of Christ shall save you!

http://ecx.images-am...L500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.fasttrack.../fta388/49t.jpg

--air run

#16 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

That is definitely a refractor and almost certainly a two element achromat. Typically the elements are air spaced with foil spacers but some are cemented together. Just keep the orientation correct and all should be fine.

Jon

#17 Jim_Smith

Jim_Smith

Vostok 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Never sure your talking about eyepiece or objective?

#18 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Never sure your talking about eyepiece or objective?

Although I initially answered the question as if he was talking about the objective, I'm now starting to think he's talking about the eyepiece.

#19 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

definitely not the eyepiece we're talking about here. I'm almost nearly positive, the eyepiece is what i look through to see light that has been gathered from the 'prism-looking-thing' from the tube, that has 'focused' the light from the 'lenses'(?)

that's where i'm confused. do i call it a lens, or lenses? it sure is two pieces, and until i get a really clear night, i wont know if i registered them 'perfectly' [at this point i wonder... did i get the 'gasket' in the correct position? there was only one that i noticed stuck to one lens, but with yer pops suggesting everything in yer ear, it could seem a lil difficult to remember what goes where :? ].

Last night i view some nice shots of larger maria on la Luna, but the hazy atmosphere didn't wanna allow all-that-clear views of Jupiter. Tonight i might try some sights of Sirius(?)along with my whacky views of Lunas' moon ;)

--gratef00l

#20 cavefrog

cavefrog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: loozyanna

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

"prism like mirror" I would believe to be a prism star diagonal.

#21 rdandrea

rdandrea

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:23 PM

that's where i'm confused. do i call it a lens, or lenses? it sure is two pieces,

One "lens," two "elements."

#22 ages0ne

ages0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

"prism like mirror" I would believe to be a prism star diagonal.

i'll have to take your word for it. i wish this company was still in biz... i'd really like to replace this, and perhaps get some newer EPs. I have no idea why there would be a 'line' running through this as if it were 'glued' together... but that makes no sense whatsoever *shrugs*

that's where i'm confused. do i call it a lens, or lenses? it sure is two pieces,

One "lens," two "elements."

Gotcha! & thanks for everyone's helpful tips, hints and everything in between (to help get this crooked, twisted, warped, slanted star viewer as astro-fied as possible)

[no if only we could start a benefit, to get his equipment upgraded!]

--space|between/\the lines

#23 Rich V.

Rich V.

Skylab

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

i'll have to take your word for it. i wish this company was still in biz... i'd really like to replace this, and perhaps get some newer EPs. I have no idea why there would be a 'line' running through this as if it were 'glued' together... but that makes no sense whatsoever *shrugs*

Though the description of the problems with this scope haven't been very clear, this statement along with the one photo linked above that shows a 45° prism diagonal makes me think you have a poorly made roof prism diagonal that's showing a huge roof edge spike. This could be the "line" running through the image of a bright object "as if it were glued together".

Switching to a standard 90° diagonal should fix this problem. Having a couple of decent eyepieces may help too...

Rich

#24 sg6

sg6

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Plus i'm sure the forums will enjoy me getting a new scope to quit screaming there is this or that flying objects near so & so moon/planet!

Personally I like the screaming.
Makes me suspect I am not the only one doing it.

#25 johnnyha

johnnyha

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

I have heard of these 45 degree prisms or correct image prisms showing lines across the middle.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics