Photo

cgem + hibernation = imaging next night?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

I am getting my first observatory. A skyshed pod xl3 and I am wondering if I hibernate the mount will I only need to do a drift alignment? Or do I have to do a polar alignment again?

When I switch the power off can I disconnect power to the mount as I will be using a 100' extension chord until spring when the ground thaws.

Thanks,

#2 MHamburg

MHamburg

Apollo

• Loc: Brooklyn, NY/Berkshires, MA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

If your CGEM is permanently mounted on a pier or a tripod and has been polar aligned to your satisfaction, then it should retain its alignment regardless of powered or not as long as it has not been moved in alt or az. If your battery is good and you select hibernate, all your settings should remain. However, I have experienced a loss of my settings sometimes I believe due to a failing battery.
Michael

#3 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

With the CGEM, the home position is set manually by aligning the marks. Your model will be valid from night to night as long as you don't move the RA or DEC axes. As long as those axes stay locked, upon a subsequent startup, you can just verify the date and time and use a "Last Alignment".

Once polar aligned, it will stay that way unless the Alt-Az axes are moved. Further drift alignment would be unnecessary unless you want to refine the alignment.

#4 Magellan

Magellan

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Enfield, NS Canada

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

So you dont need to have any power to the mount? having a hard grasping that lol

#5 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

it has a battery inside the mount.. A little 2025 watch battery.. Just like a computer doesn't lose time when you turn it off because a PC has a battery in it too..

#6 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

When you hybernate the mount, it slews and stops at known positions that are known by the hand controller (HC) as being static at that point. The HC is then powered off. When it's powered on again later, it's able to reestablish the mount's position relative to the current sky because it knows what date it is, what time it is, the latitude and longitude where it's located, and the static position of the mount's axes. With all that, it can pick up where it left off the previous night.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics