• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SE Ma.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

All great info. There is always a good and bad to most things, so I will not rule out the EQ2, after all, it's to start with.

#52 Crow Haven

Crow Haven

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

I'm late in posting but I think the ST120 will do what you want. I still have fun with mine -- not only for the wide views but also with a Baader solar film filter it was fun for the portions of the Venus transit I was able to view and sunspots. It's light enough to take nearly anywhere and sets up in no time. I've been using it on an Astro Tech Voyager alt/az mt.
---Maya :grin:

Attached Files

#53 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 AM

Thanks for the support on this scope scope Maya. Love the image btw. If I get this scope I will get a Porta mount for it and invest a bit more than planned. I may just get a cheap 80 or 90 mm refractor first, just to test the waters and gain experience with refractors.

#54 terraclarke

terraclarke

Aurora

• Loc: The Bluegrass State

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

I love to use my long focus refractors on eq mounts at home when I have time to set them up and take them down under adequate light. When I go out to our clubs dark site however, I like faster scopes (f/stop wise) and alt az mounts. My favorite dark sky grab and go set up is my ST120 (I've upgraded the focuser to a duel speed GSO) with a 2 inch dielectric diagonal and a suite of 2 inch ep from 40 to 10 mm on a vintage wooden Professional Jr tripod and pan head. I can spend many happy hours cruising the skies and star hopping to whatever I want to find. All of this and I leave the Ouija board at home.

Get the ST120. You'll love it. (And remember, the dust cap comes with an aperture stop that takes it down to around 100mm if the CA is getting the best of you- a polarizing filter will also help here.)

A much bigger question is getting a mount you will be happy with. There are lots of alt-az mounts out there. I have the Porta MountII and I have to admit, it is not my favorite. My televue panoramic can run circles around it even without slo-mos as long as its well balanced. I also like my Universal Astronomics Unistar. Eqs are the best if you have the time to mess with them but they are not my first choice of weapon in a duel.

Clear skies.

#55 Locoman

Locoman

Viking 1

• Loc: Abilene, Kansas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

Get It! :jump:

Attached Files

#56 newtoskies

newtoskies

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Well that's two more for the ST120....LOL. Love the moral support, thanks. I am checking around for a new or used diagonal for that scope, and on craigslist for a cheap mount, EQ2 or so for now. I don't have a ton of cash to spend on this scope....X-mas and all...so I won't rush into getting it just yet.....but man I really love that scope..lol

#57 DoctorNoodle

DoctorNoodle

Apollo

• Loc: Lawn Guyland, NY

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I love mine, also. Put a 90mm aperture mask on it and it's pretty good on planets.

Attached Files

#58 chapleau

chapleau

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Gorman, California

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

I have owned my 120ST for six or seven years and love it. It mainly goes on a Vixen PortaMount and then defines "grab and go." The stars are sharp as tacks to my eyes. Yes, CA is sure noticeable on bright objects. My 8" dob beats it on grabbing DSO'sm but the 120 beats the dob on splitting doubles.

I also use it for my limited AP work. Then, it goes an Atlas.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics