• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

A lot of great films that have been used frequently in the past are not longer produced. They can be still bought e.g. on Ebay, but they've expired several years ago. I can imagine a slow film, like Kodak E100S from 2003, won't be much affected by aging, if stored in a fridge. But how about a faster film, e.g. Fuji Provia 400f? I know it depends on the way the film was strored. What is you experience with using expired films?

M.

#2 Hikari

Hikari

Viking 1

• Loc: Maine, USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:51 PM

Film speed has nothing to do with whether the film has aged well. I have shot really old slide film and it was really bad. Nothing can stop exposure to cosmic radiation.

The question is why bother with an expired film when there are new films available? Not worth it to save money. Old emulsions are not likely to be better than new ones. Besides, how would you know how well the person stored the film?

#3 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

E100S was a great film for astrophotography and with no more Kodak Chrome films available I would shoot it if it has been stored properly. I got 2002 dated E100S in my freezer and it performs well with just a slight blue cast easily correctable after scanning.

Faster films, typically 400 ISO or faster will fog over a shorter period of time, test a roll and go from there.

Not sure what newer films would be better than legacy films in our aplication. The only good films for astro in current production are Fuji's Acros 100 and Provia 400X Chrome film. Provia 100F can be used if shooting fast lenses, but is awesome for star trails.

I shot a roll of Provia 400F that had expired five years prior and purchased from a guy that kept it frozen since new. It performed well, but with a fairly strong magenta cast. Provia films usually lean toward magenta in long exposures anyway.

You looking to keep shooting film for the foreseeable future Michal?

I'm taking a break myself, but hope to get back soon.

Good luck in this months contest. That 400 Takumar shot looks great in the full size image you posted earlier.

#4 Nightfly

Nightfly

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Dark Skies, Maine

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

BTW. My stock of E200 works like new and is dated 7/2010. It has been frozen since I purchased in August 2009. I hope to get another four of five years out of it. That's eight pro-packs ! :jump:

#5 Michal1

Michal1

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic, Central Europe

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

That's why I'm asking. There are not many films in production that are good for us. There are several good colour films in 35mm format, but only that one for medium format Jim mentions. Moreover Oliver Stein (estelar.de) told me, Provia 400F was very much better than its successor 400X.

My stock of E200 is decreasing. I have the last 6 rolls. This is enough for me till the end of the next year. In fact, I've just ordered several rolls of E100S, E200 and 400F from Ebay, so I'll see myself.

From what I saw at Takayuki Yoshida's gallery, E100S had to be a superb film. It seems it was less sensitive than E200, but its colours were even better.

Jim, I'm going to keep shooting film as long as it is possible. I really enjoy it and I'm satisfied with what I get. I can't often say the same about my CCD work. On the other hand I keep it, because it is good to capture very faint objects even under urban sky, which I have at home. Maybe when I improve my skills in prime focus film astrophotography, the situation will change.

I took several more shots with Tak 400 in summer. I'm going to show them here when I process them, as well as my notes to the lens.

#6 Don Trinko

Don Trinko

Vanguard

• Loc: Ohio

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:24 PM

I have had good luck with old film. Properly stored film lasts for many years. The main think is to develop it soon after exposure. All IMO; Don T.

#7 Jean Mario

Jean Mario

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Québec, Canada, St-Jérôme.

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

For B&W films the oldest films has grey tone. For color film you will have red blushing...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics