Classic Relapse

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

The fever broke when I purchased a Sears 4-6305 in mid July. There was a 10 month roller coaster ride of adding 15 scopes. But, just when I thought recovery was complete I saw and bid on this Tasco just because the wingnuts were black and the accessory tray wood. The tray is surface with thin "felt/paper on one side which is still intact over the holes. It seems to have been stored since purchase and shows no evidence of use. Original straw packing and "Tasco" silica gel packs complement the complete set of accesories (per the instruction sheet). Except while the sheet lists a 12.5mm eyepiece, an AH 20mm 35X is included. The 2X barlow is spelled "BARLWO". Scope EPs, and barlow are marked with circle T. Yellowed LA Times newsprint in the box is dated Dec 4, 1961.

Attached Files

#2 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

Second photo of the contents. Needs cleaning, but no corrosion.

Attached Files

#3 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

Close up of the label.

Attached Files

#4 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

Assembled.

Attached Files

#5 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

One of the lens. The cover was loose in the box and the lens is dusty. There is no sign of foil so I suspect a cemented objective or a ring spacer between the elements. This may be my last scope purchase. :grin:

Attached Files

#6 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:12 PM

Beautiful! You have a corded phone...

#7 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:23 PM

The fever broke when I purchased a Sears 4-6305 in mid July. There was a 10 month roller coaster ride of adding 15 scopes. But, just when I thought recovery was complete I saw and bid on this Tasco just because the wingnuts were black and the accessory tray wood. The tray is surface with thin "felt/paper on one side which is still intact over the holes. It seems to have been stored since purchase and shows no evidence of use. Original straw packing and "Tasco" silica gel packs complement the complete set of accesories (per the instruction sheet). Except while the sheet lists a 12.5mm eyepiece, an AH 20mm 35X is included. The 2X barlow is spelled "BARLWO". Scope EPs, and barlow are marked with circle T. Yellowed LA Times newsprint in the box is dated Dec 4, 1961.

Hello Marc, Congrats on your new Tasco 12TE scope. Was this the Goodwill scope a couple of weeks ago? This scope caught my eye as well when I started looking over the details.

I've been looking over all the 9TE and 12TE scopes that I've been documenting and of these models, I think this is one of the oldest versions I've come across. I think your scope is older than 1961 for the reasons below.

Here's why: This is the only early light wood box 12TE that I've seen so far. The upper lid name tag is the only one that says "ACHROMATIC LENS", all the others say "COATED LENS". The focuser label second line says "ACHROMATIC COATED LENS", all the other 12TE's up thru 1962 only say "COATED LENS". This is the only 9TE or 12TE with a wooden accessory tray that anyone has posted photos on. For me, this the first version of this Barlow I've noticed that was misplelled as well.

Courtesy of James Siska, the 1962 printed 1961 sales fold out brochure shows the 12TE and for that matter all scopes with a metal accessory tray. The 1962 users guide is black and white glossy style showing lens elements on the cover. Your users guide is older and is more like the 9TE users guide that strdst the "other Keith" owns. His scope which came in the blue gift box is 1961 or earlier.

Look at my undated Tasco sales brochure. It looks like the picture of the scope and accessories matches the picture in my catalog. I think my catalog is 1960 or 1959 based on the other scopes listed.

Could you post a close up picture of both sides of your manual so we could look it over better and compare to the others?

Your lens cell looks interesting as well. Could you show the detail of the cell. It looks like the outer black lens cell is an external type with a plastic spacer between the elements. This is the same style that I've come across on a 1962 6TE.

I think the wood accessory tray alone would make this scope late 50's based on other similar styles scopes from that era.

Does anyone else have a scope that has any of these items that I've pointed out to help date this scope?

Thanks, Stephen

Attached Files

#8 desertrefugee

desertrefugee

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

I'd think this one much more likely to be a predecessor of the 9TE-5 which shares the 700mm focal length. My 12TE-5 has a focal length of 800mm. Not sure about the 12TE. Also, the 12TE-5 has slow motion control on the azimuth axis.

We discussed one of these nice older Tascos here not too long ago...

#9 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:08 AM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info. There's no indication of the model # on anything. It does look exactly like the 234X 12TE pictured in your sales brochure. I've been unable to find anything to indicate the age so far except for the LA Times page used as packing in the box. I've scanned the instruction sheet and will try to attach the scans.

Thanks, Marc

Attached Files

#10 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:09 AM

Here's the back side of the sheet.

Attached Files

#11 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

Here is a close up of the lens cell. The ring is an external ring as you indicate. Oh yea, it's the scope on Goodwill a couple weeks ago.

Attached Files

#12 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:22 AM

I'd think this one much more likely to be a predecessor of the 9TE-5 which shares the 700mm focal length. My 12TE-5 has a focal length of 800mm. Not sure about the 12TE. Also, the 12TE-5 has slow motion control on the azimuth axis.

We discussed one of these nice older Tascos here not too long ago...

Hi Darrell,

This also has a slow motion on the azimuth axis. Here's a close up.

Thanks,
Marc

Attached Files

#13 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:38 AM

Picture of the tray, paper/felt side. The felt is cut for the EPs apparently to push through and cause the felt to line the inside of the openings.

Attached Files

#14 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Closeup of the EPs on the flip side of the tray. These weren't shown in the Goodwill pictures so it was a pleasant surprise that they were included along with the "sun filter".

Attached Files

#15 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:43 AM

Here is a close up of the lens cell. The ring is an external ring as you indicate. Oh yea, it's the scope on Goodwill a couple weeks ago.

Thanks for the picture of the lens cell. Here is my picture of one of my 6TE scopes which is from 1962 or 1963. I've also seen a Jason 50mm x 600mm scope with this same style lens cell. All are circle T scopes.

Stephen

Attached Files

#16 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

Beautiful! You have a corded phone...

I need something with caller ID before the next presidential election cycle. :mad:

#17 Marc-Andre

Marc-Andre

Ranger 4

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:54 AM

Thanks for the picture of the lens cell. Here is my picture of one of my 6TE scopes which is from 1962 or 1963. I've also seen a Jason 50mm x 600mm scope with this same style lens cell. All are circle T scopes.

Stephen

Is it easy to remove the ring to clean the lens? Does your 6TE have a blue tube?

Marc

#18 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info. There's no indication of the model # on anything. It does look exactly like the 234X 12TE pictured in your sales brochure. I've been unable to find anything to indicate the age so far except for the LA Times page used as packing in the box. I've scanned the instruction sheet and will try to attach the scans.

Thanks, Marc

All I can say is WOW. I just looked over the instruction sheet and the first sentence is "This new Tasco....". So could the be the very first version of the 12TE...well it looks that way to me. I even think your scope could even be earlier than the one pictured in my undated catalog. Why, looking with a loupe, the world "Barlow" is spelled correctly and the two eyepieces are like yours the 6mm exactly, but the other is the 12.5mm at 55X. That is what is listed on your instruction sheet. But your other lens is 20mm and based on 700mm fl, the 35X would be correct. It just so happens that the 11TE advertised in the same catalog came with the 20mm at 35X. So did they first use the 20mm and then switch over to the 12.5mm...or did they just put the 20mm in by mistake instead of the 12.5...guess will never know until another one of they shows up :).

Your instruction sheet pre-dates Keith's blue box 9TE sheet and his scope is 1961 or older. I'm trying to see if I can find an example of a pre 1962 instruction sheet to see if it looks like the 9TE one. So I, still believe your scope to be before 1961.

Stephen

#19 Stargoat

Stargoat

Messenger

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:13 AM

Stephen

Is it easy to remove the ring to clean the lens? Does your 6TE have a blue tube?

Marc

The 6TE's tube is white, that is just blue painters tape covering the finder holes.

Stephen

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics