Powerplant clean up will improve sky view

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JS999R

JS999R

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

Not exactly about light pollution, but haze causing deminishing sky views is just as bad. The EPA finally came down on some dirty coal burning plants in the s/w where clearly they were responsible for increased respiratory problems in the area and the side benefit will be improved clarity of the air in and around Grand Canyon Nat'l Park. The park has been victimized by a heavy haze for years, obscuring the previously glorious views the park was known for. The Hopi Indian Nation in the area of the park are very pleased because the Canyon to them is a sacred site and they were most subjected to the smokestack chemicals emitted by the coal plants. Some of them who remembered the area previously stated the views were unlimited and the night time skies clear and clean. They indicated far fewer stars could be seen nowadays and when I read that I figured I'd post the link outlining the case: https://secure.npca....UserAction&a...

#2 vsteblina

vsteblina

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Coat burning plants are notorious for producing haze. In the northwest there are two coal burning plants and they ruin the skies throughout the national forests and parks in Oregon, Washingon, Idaho and Montana.

One is scheduled to go off line soon. Hopefully, the other will soon follow.

Not sure why the southwest was so eager to build coal plants just to send power to LA.

#3 Achernar

Achernar

Cosmos

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

Coal fired power plants are all over the place here in the southeast, and the skies are very milky here. I can see a lens of haze and particulate choked air above Mobile whenever I approach it from the interstates often. Truly clear nights have definitely become much rarer in the more than 25 years I have lived here.

Taras

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:06 PM

Not sure why the southwest was so eager to build coal plants just to send power to LA.

Right on!

#5 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:15 PM

Good! There is one near Page AZ that absolutely wrecks the vistas at Canyonlands, when the wind blows the wrong way. When driving by the thing, you can see a yellow haze coming from the stacks, and stretching out for many miles.

#6 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

In the northwest there are two coal burning plants and they ruin the skies throughout the national forests and parks in Oregon, Washingon, Idaho and Montana.

I have nice pristine skies here. :shrug:

#7 derangedhermit

derangedhermit

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:28 PM

Coal fired power plants are all over the place here in the southeast, and the skies are very milky here. I can see a lens of haze and particulate choked air above Mobile whenever I approach it from the interstates often. Truly clear nights have definitely become much rarer in the more than 25 years I have lived here.

Taras

The Southeast has both coal and hydro, both ewll developed over the past 60 years. The TVA has been a real boon to economic development in the southeast. The coal-burning plant north of Mobile is almost 60 years old. There were no alternatives to providing electricity at anything like the same cost. There still aren't, unless you change what a "cost" is, as people have started doing.

The change in the skies in the past 25 years is probably mainly due to the boom in population in Mobile and Baldwin counties, and the associated fixed lighting and vehicular pollution.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics