I Feel Dirty...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

• Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

Found a seller getting rid of his Z12 that is fully-flocked, has a refigured primary, has an upgraded secondary, and has Bob's Knobs and stronger primary springs. I had these on my to-do list for my Z12. So I tried to sell my stock Z12 on the other site for 1/2 price. Lots of hits, no nibbles. So...I offered to part it out. The feeding frenzy was something to behold! I'm going to MAKE money but it still felt wrong taking apart a fully functional scope.

The OTA came completely apart with no issues in only 20 minutes. So if anyone has any questions about how Z12s are put together let me know.

#2 mayidunk

mayidunk

Don't Ask...

• Moderators
  • Loc: Betwixt & Between...

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

Hey, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! Don't sweat it.

#3 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:39 AM

Hi, Ken,
I've heard that the Zhumell and Apertura scopes are the same. Since you've taken your Z apart, can you confirm whether or not this is true? I guess my main question is does Z use roller bearings on the azimuth mount like the Apertura. This is one of the things that is making me lean towards A. Thanks.

#4 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Ken,
Nothing to feel guilty about. Doesn't sound like you cheated or misled anyone, and you made a little money too so be thankful. There's always a market for spare parts in these mass produced scopes since the companies who sell the scopes won't sell parts.

Royce,
They are both the same scopes, GSO's each with their own logos. My personal preference would also be Apertura since they have an actual store and staff to support and stand behind them, vs Zhumell that near as I can figure is only a Hayneedle "brand" with no real store or staff beyond phone sales/returns.

Opticsmart's David Giles has an account and presence here on CN (DavidOpticsMart), listens to and actively participates with us.

#5 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hey, you provide a much needed community service by providing telescope parts to the needy. Don't worry ... you won't go "TELESCOPE HELL"!

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

The same is prob'ly true in the automotive realm... a $2k beater may be worth $4k in parts, especially if YOU are the one buying the parts trying to repair an old beater!
:lol:

Plus, the "parts" you sold off may very well give a new lease on life to someone's otherwise "dead" scope... parts that, if otherwise unavailable, would necessitate their purchasing a WHOLE new scope, and at many times the cost!

Bravo! :applause:

#7 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

My Lightbridge uses the exact same needle bearing, plate, and center bolt assembly.

#8 ThreeD

ThreeD

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento suburbs

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Plus, the "parts" you sold off may very well give a new lease on life to someone's otherwise "dead" scope...

By sacrificing this one scope he has potentially brought numerous others back to life. Reduce-Reuse-Recycle.

#9 t.r.

t.r.

Skylab

• Loc: 1123,6536,5321

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

Often the sum of the parts is worth more than the whole...ask any chop shop!!! :p

#10 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

The Zhumell has the nifty roller bearings in the big plastic disk. I upgraded to a Baltic Birch mount of my own design with Ebony Star and teflon. I've never seen an Apertura.

#11 kfiscus

kfiscus

Vanguard

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the reassurement, everybody. I hadn't thought about how hard it is to get parts for these scopes. I am a rabid recycler in other areas of life.

#12 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Ken,
Nothing to feel guilty about. Doesn't sound like you cheated or misled anyone, and you made a little money too so be thankful. There's always a market for spare parts in these mass produced scopes since the companies who sell the scopes won't sell parts.

Royce,
They are both the same scopes, GSO's each with their own logos. My personal preference would also be Apertura since they have an actual store and staff to support and stand behind them, vs Zhumell that near as I can figure is only a Hayneedle "brand" with no real store or staff beyond phone sales/returns.

Opticsmart's David Giles has an account and presence here on CN (DavidOpticsMart), listens to and actively participates with us.

Thanks, Steve. Very helpful info.

#13 Geo.

Geo.

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Some must die that others can live on.

Attached Files

#14 simpleisbetter

simpleisbetter

Surveyor 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

:shocked: I had a first Gen ETX90ec that wound up looking like that, sort of.

#15 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

Wow! You have the doo dad, right next to the whatchamacallit!

#16 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Darn... that doo dad looks done, dude.

#17 bherv

bherv

Surveyor 1

• Loc: WMass

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:18 AM

As the purchaser of one of those parts, I say you have nothing to feel guilty about. I've parted out a scope to maximize return on investment.
Barry

#18 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

You should not feel bad; after all, there are many smiling faces out there right now who are happy they found the mirror, OTA Tube, focuser, spider, etc...that they had been looking for, but could not afford new......Be happy because you made someone else happy....take the extra money and buy something for your other/new scope(s). Remember, old scopes never die, they just get parted out....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics