• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

I stumbled across a wonderful 90-minute video on youtube that was originally produced by National Geographic as a two-hour program for their cable channel, titled "The Definitive Guide to the Milky Way Galaxy" that provides a richly graphic, yet quite substantive condensed astronomy course. One of the most fascinating aspects of the video are the hypothetical clips of what earth's nighttime sky might look like from a particular coastal location if: a) earth was within a globular cluster; b) we were in the future epoch where Andromeda and the Milky Way galaxy were nearing collision; c) the solar system was nearer the center of the galaxy. The video contains one of the most succinct, straightforwardly convincing explanations (graphical and verbal) for why astrophysicists are convinced "dark matter" exists that I've ever come across. The graphics (provided with help of JPL and NASA) are quite excellent, all except for the occasional repetition of a misplaced and awkward amusement-park ride metaphor, a needless instance of dumbing-down what was otherwise a solid presentation aimed at a sophisticated, intelligent lay audience. But the other 95% is so excellent that it's worth forgiving some NG producer for inserting this dubious element into an otherwise fascinating graphical presentation.

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Chris, thanks for the link! I've bookmarked it to watch, as it sounds very interesting!

#3 killdabuddha

killdabuddha

Apollo

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Watched this with the family and was immediately captured by the graphics--maybe the best I've ever seen, really well-formatted, etc. But had to keep sayin..."We'll be able to see that...but it won't look like that..." The more we watched the more it seemed targeted for grade school kids, mainly because of the very slow, deliberate speech and because of some of the analogies. And if so, then bravo! Some real eye-candy here and thoroughly enjoyable. Works best on a big screen with all the lights off.

#4 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:03 AM

This is one I watch with the sound muted. Some of the music and all of the narration is like fingers down a blackboard to my ears. But it's a seriously beautiful video to watch.

BTW, the actual title is 'Inside the Milky Way', I believe. That YouTube title is incorrect.

#5 dennyhenke

dennyhenke

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fredericktown, MO

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:02 AM

Bookmarked! Thanks.

#6 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:10 AM

Chris Thank you very much for the link. That looks great!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics