#1 dragon86

dragon86

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Erie, Pa.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:19 AM

I would like to ask some questions(before I purchase) concerning the
Hyperstar system as it relates to the Mallincam video camera and a CPC1100.I
will be using the camera only for live viewing(no post production).
1.After installing do have to re-balance your whole set-up?
2.Can you use the camera/HS system to align or is an alignment required first?
3.There are 4 wires used in the camera. Do you bundle or attach to the scope
individually in quadrants?
4.Can focus be achieved using the stock focus knob?
5.Will you actually get more detail in the image because your integration times
have essentially doubled? No doubt some objects will be smaller but will there
still be enhanced detail?

#2 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Don,

From working with some friends who have Hyperstar setups ...

1) Maybe, but with the CPC1100 being back heavy a Hyperstar setup usually ends up being more neutral in balance.
2) You can and probably should just go with the camera to do your initial alignment. It's a good idea to have a really good finderscope alignment before you start though.
3) Bundle the wires in a single package and try to stack them so that they present a small profile. 2nd best would be to go with pairs on opposite sides of the camera. Notching a dew shield to hold the wires in the right position can also help.
4)Yes but it's sensitive. Anything you can do to make the focuser knob movement finer will help (adding a larger diameter knob is one solution). A Feathertouch SCT microfocuser does really help but they are not cheap.
5) The faster f ratio will mean more fainter nebulousity in your images or more intense brighter nebulousity. Finer detail will be more visible if it's relatively large (the finer stuff is usually fainter and that will be more visible) but you really won't get more resolution for really small stuff.

#3 GlennLeDrew

GlennLeDrew

Voyager 1

• Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

As to the last question, the image scale at f/2 will be 1/5 that as when at the f/10 focus. Which means the field of view will be 5X wider. And the image surface brightness will be 25X higher, meaning that with other settings being the same in the camera, the integration time will be 1/25 as long.

With such a bright image, you can reduce the gain and thereby lessen noise.

Because both the object and sky are brightened equally with the f/ratio reduction, contrast is not improved. Therefore nebulosity will not 'pop out' above the sky glow any more than it will at a slower f/ratio and commensurately longer integration. But such a bright image allows to use aggressive filtering without having to suffer very long integrations.

The real benefit of the fast f/ratio is the acquisition of an image in a shorter time. And of course being able to frame larger objects due to the shorter focal length.

#4 Jack Huerkamp

Jack Huerkamp

Vendor - Waning Moon

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

http://s25.beta.phot...1100 Hyperestar

Above is a link to my CPC1100 HyperStar Photobuck Album. The MallinCam works great on the CPC1100, but lots of additional counterweight is needed. I had a stainless steel counterweight from my orange C-8 that I modified to attached to the small counterweight included with the 11" Hyperstar system. They must not figure on using dewshields, even the AstroZap FlexiHeat version that is lighter than the aluminum unit, as it is impossible to balance the CPC1100 with the MallinCam on the HyperStar assembly and a dewshield instlled.

On a CPC1100, the MallinCam achieves about a 2/3 degree FOV.

Jack

#5 dragon86

dragon86

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:38 PM

I just used the Hyperstar with the Mallincam for the first time last night.I am very pleased with the results. Made no adjustments. Worked right out of the box. I do not have lot's of experience taking snapshots from the camera but I will improve over time. I am posting this because when I did my research on the Hyperstar unit all I could seem to find were photos that had some post production done and I just wanted to see some live shots off the camera. Here is an attached photo live from the camera without enhancements. With experience they will only get better. Love both the Hyperstar and Mallincam.

Attached Files

#6 dragonslayer1

dragonslayer1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: SLC, UT

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

A very good picture,
Kasey

#7 jchaller

jchaller

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Tenino, WA.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:10 PM

Very good. Hope you post pics from this set-up in the image gallery.

#8 telfish

telfish

Messenger

• Loc: Adirondack Mountains NY

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

Can you tell me what the distance is from the hyperstar threads to the chip. And where did you get your adapter?

Terry

#9 dragon86

dragon86

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:42 AM

I am not a techie so I can not tell you distance measurement that you require but the adapter is ordered for your specific camera when you purchase the hyperstar system.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics