• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 YetAnotherHobby

YetAnotherHobby

Mariner 2

• Loc: Central CT

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's very much a personal preference.

I have an 11" motorized SCT and a 12" manual dob, and I would have a hard time giving up either one. I enjoy the connection between observer, scope and sky that I get with the dob - there is a purity about it that is very appealing to me. But other nights I want to use my video cameras on the planets and DSOs, where the technological side of astronomy satisfies my inner geek, and the SCT shines here.
One thing I found was that as my scope setup became more complex (computer, power supply, camera, etc) it became less and less enjoyable to lug everything up from the basement for a viewing session, and my observing time tailed off. The old saw "the scope you use the most is the best" is all too true.
So which is best? Do you spend hours sketching Jupiter at 300x? Then tracking is essential. Do you like the freedom to jump across the sky to the next object that catches your attention? The dob's responses are instantaneous - no waiting for the motors to wind the OTA to your target. It all comes down to your own personal preferences.

#27 Kevdog

Kevdog

Apollo

• Loc: Desert Hills, AZ

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

I first bought an Orion XT12i. The views were good, but moving the scope for myself was bothersome, but for my 5 yr old son and my wife it became like mission impossible. "You will lose the view of Jupiter in 5....4....3....2....1 Go go go!"

I now have a C11 and it's great because I can crank up the magnification and both my wife and son can view without any worries.

If I was going the big dob route, I'd definitely get a XX10g or so. Tracking and goto are great for my situation. (Nearly bought an XX16g, but it's huge and right now I don't have $4k to spend!).

#28 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:53 PM

I'm kind of hoping my girlfriend will get me an Orion xx14i for christmas :rofl2: But probably not :ohgeeze: I will probably look into either an xt10g or xt12g. I figure if i just save a little more and get a goto then I just wont have to worry about it at all.

#29 Bob Griffiths

Bob Griffiths

Getting Grouchy

• Loc: Frederick Maryland

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:13 PM

I use mostly GoTo scopes...BUT still use both of my refractors Manually on Gem mounts.. BUTH these have sl-mo controls...

BUT a few weeks ago I used my observation buddies 10 inch dob for a few hours and after 3 minutes I completely forgot about having to nudge the scope along..it just was second nature and done without any thinking..

IF and ONLY IF you can chew gum and walk at the same time a Manuel Dob will present no problem even at high magnification..

Bob G.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics