Photo

has this been the Cloudiest Winter or what?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#26 star drop

star drop

contra contrail

• Moderators
  • Loc: Snow Plop, WNY

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:43 PM

Today the NELM (naked eye limiting magnitude) here was around -25.

#27 DSL72

DSL72

Lift Off

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

SE PA has been horrible. Last time I used my scope was 16 days ago at the LVAAS star party. If it ain't cloudy, it's the moon. If it ain't the moon, it's poor seeing. Then there's the porch lights... sheesh. OK, enough venting...

#28 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

We just can't seem to get out of this cycle of regular almost daily onshore winds and cold fronts, it's like a Justin Bieber CD that's stuck on repeat. :mad: :mad: :mad:

You must have a teenage daughter! :grin:

#29 hm insulators

hm insulators

Aurora

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

You can send that cold air down here to Arizona; it will be in the 80's AGAIN this week. We're tired of summer! bring on the cool air just keep the clouds. :)

Nah, let it stay in the 80s! As McDonalds would put it, I'm lovin' it!

#30 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Not in Western Colorado. Today was the first cloudy day in nearly a month.

We've been keeping them over here on the front range side...

#31 Kildar13x

Kildar13x

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maine

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

Its been very cloudy in my neck of the woods in Maine. It seems every night I have off from work or school is cloudy.

#32 MrJones

MrJones

Apollo

• ****-
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

In Indiana the clearest nights always seem to coincide with full moons! It's been so bad this year in general I put off upgrading.

#33 jturie

jturie

Vostok 1

• Loc: Valley Forge, PA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:24 PM

Clear tonight in Eastern PA for the first time in at least 10-14 days. Unfortunately, temp is diving and it's blowing about 20 knots. Not a problem as the 6SE is still in its box awaiting Christmas, so I'm grabbing the 10X50 binocs until my lips turn blue.

#34 guangtou

guangtou

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:16 PM

I've noticed the past few winters have had above normal levels of precipitation in the midsouth- and NOAA predicts such again this year. Hate that- winter is my favorite time to observe.

#35 Steve Drapak

Steve Drapak

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 02:48 AM

Here's Wolfram Alpha's response to "Weather in Brampton Ontario for last month" :-(

| overcast: 32.7% (9.3 days) | clear: 6.7% (1.9 days)

#36 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

Same here in Vancouver.
We had a great long and dry summer with lots of clear nights.
But it's been terrible lately. I haven't had a decent night since October! It was clear [sort of] last night, but the seeing and transparency was so bad it was not worth setting up. We still have not reached freezing temperatures yet. Maybe when we do, we will finally get some clear skies.

Steve

#37 JayinUT

JayinUT

I'm not Sleepy

• Loc: Utah

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:50 AM

Washed out on another weekend of observing. Cloudy last night, snow all da and into the night tonight here in northern Utah. Next week and weekend isn't looking much better.

#38 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:43 AM

Tonight about 11:45 I went outside, looked up, saw clear skies, and so decided a driveway observing session for maybe an hour or two would hit the spot before going on to bed. Got my reflector collimated, went outside, observed for about 5 minutes, and...SHEZAM! here come clouds rolling quickly in. I did get a decently sharp view of Jupiter with the best view of the GRS in quite awhile, lots of swirls in the main two cloud belts visible and a few of the more subtle bands more toward the respective poles could be made out as well. I managed to hurriedly catch the Trapezium E and F, M35, M37, and M41 before the sucker holes shrunk too much to make continuning worthwhile. Oh well, the session was a nice 10, maybe 15 minutes while it lasted. The forecast for the rest of the week isn't too promising here either. I'm not counting on our Club's Geminid meteor shower observing session coming off later this week at what passes for our "dark" site.

#39 Turf1

Turf1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW Michigan USA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

First time set-up. Clouds moved in. No viewing yet. grrrr lol oh well.

Attached Files

#40 HellsKitchen

HellsKitchen

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Melbourne Australia

Posted 10 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

You must have a teenage daughter! :grin:

lol not quite, I'm only 24 ;) However, I could watch South Park's parody of Justin Bieber all day long, absolutely hilarious LOL

We are getting a 3-4 night run of clear sky right now, except it's windy and and am working 10 hour shifts getting home only at like 8:30pm so no real desire to lug my gear out. Ahh, why can't these clear nights happen on the weekend :bawling:

#41 FirstSight

FirstSight

Duke of Deneb

• Moderators
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:07 PM

Late fall/early winter around central North Carolina has not only been atypically more often cloudy than usual, but also milder than usual. There have been only a couple of days so far barely chilly enough to produce a light frost that disappeared very quickly under a warming sun that produced mild temperatures by mid-morning. However, the relative mildness-relative-to-normal night conditions are themselves a bit problematic in that it's retarded my usual personal adjustment to cooler temperatures. Thus, night temps in the mid-40s F still seem at first uncomfortably chilly to venture out in to my still-tuned-to-Indian-summer senses, rather than welcomely warm to senses properly tuned to winter or early springtime. It's inhibited me from going out a few times so far when I really should have during periods of clear weather.

#42 orion61

orion61

Aurora

• Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

This last summer was dry and HOT! biggest problem living near the Minnesota bordrd (Skeeters are the State bird)
They are so big they sound like a squad of B57's
One on each shoulder off you go and your done for..
The Native Americans called them "Birds with teeth"
Dont put your Dogs out after dark..
Late Fall and Winter is my favorite time as well but you have to dress so warm you need you look like a tick.....

#43 galexand

galexand

Ranger 4

• Loc: Bloomington Indiana

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

orion61 - Thanks for reminding me about the mosquitos. With the clouds and wind (?jet stream?), my observing this fall hasn't been anywhere near as good as the summer (that hot high pressure "dome" that caused the drought was fantastic!)... but you're right, at least there aren't any skeeters! Gives me something to be thankful for. And maybe this wed-fri clear high pressure thing will pan out. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics