Io transit this evening

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:08 AM

Just in from observing the first half of the Io transit. This was the first time I had observed a Jovian moon transit this close to Jupiter's opposition, which placed the moon shadow almost directly under Io itself . . . a most unusual presentation. For the first part of the transit in particular I could only see about half of the shadow, and also had a clear view of Io as it moved onto the planet's disc. Very cool to watch a near-opposition transit! I am not sure when that opportunity will come again.

#2 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

Very rare angle, I was anxious to check out the new SE6 tho thin clouds at near zenith was able to pull out the shadow. Also best luck on catching the moon Io entry is at the start.

Should have used my XT8 but still nice view. Sky's slightly steady at times gave flashes of extra bands.

Had no idea this was going on happened to check the Sky Safari Plus and there it was underway!

Nice!

#3 Centaur

Centaur

• Loc: Chicago

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:58 AM

Glad you both got to see it. An alert for it was on my Jupiter webpage: www.CurtRenz.com/jupiter . There will be similar occultations of shadows by Galilean satellites during the next few days. These occur every year around the times of Jupiter's oppositions.

I also supplied notification of tonight's event in my related thread in this forum: http://www.cloudynig...5532902/page...

#4 phillip

phillip

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

Sky Safari Plus shows how close together it was, cool.

http://www.youtube.c...be_gdata_player

#5 REC

REC

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

So I was just looking at your chart for tomorrow night, 12/2 and it looks like another Io transit at 6pm EST....nice:)

Bob

#6 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:05 AM

Glad to read these confirming posts! :bow:

Clouds were in & out here last night, so I missed Io's ingress....but got plenty of looks at the shadow transit. Using full "averted imagination", I was seeing the shadow as more of a crescent or "comma" than a disc during moments of good seeing. Glad some of you guys got even better views! :jump:

And thanks, Kurt, for your ongoing heads-ups on cool events like this. :bow:

Now, off to the imaging forums to see if anybody got photos...

Jim

#7 Aleko

Aleko

Vostok 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Just in from observing the first half of the Io transit. This was the first time I had observed a Jovian moon transit this close to Jupiter's opposition, which placed the moon shadow almost directly under Io itself . . . a most unusual presentation. For the first part of the transit in particular I could only see about half of the shadow, and also had a clear view of Io as it moved onto the planet's disc. Very cool to watch a near-opposition transit! I am not sure when that opportunity will come again.

Yes, it was a very cool transit. I viewed it through an 8-inch f8 Cave and watched from just before the start through mid transit. Sometimes there was an illusion that the shadow was round and the moon itself a bit eclipsed. The contrast with the deep shadow and the bright moon, along with the background SEB, was a very lovely sight.

Alex

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics