•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Direct computer control of scope ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Search didn't find me anything so here is the question:

Are there any computer programs and interfaces(if needed) that would directly control the motors of various goto scopes and that do not need a working han controller ?

I know hand controllers can fail and that in the case of donated and estate sales the controllers are sometimes seperated or lost.Usually the price of a repacement controller from the original company costs more than I want to spend.

#2 Bill-in-BC

Bill-in-BC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

MaxIm DL allows telescope control from the keyboard, but you need to do your initial alignment using a hand controller. After perfoming a sync on a couple of stars using the hand controller, you can then use MaxIm DL for all your GOTO. (I'm using an LX200 Meade.)

#3 groz

groz

Vanguard

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Cant say about the others, but, the EQ6 / HEQ5 / EQ3 series, based on the synscan controller, can all be operated directly from a pc, without the hand controller, buy simply purchasing a serial converter for them, commonly called the 'eqmod' type stuff. It's just an rs-232 -> 3Vttl converter. Shoestring astronomy sells the inexpensive eqdir module that does the trick, there are other variants out there.

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Celestron has software called nexRemote, this usually comes with a new telescope or mount. The new CPC line of telescopes have a "pc" port that you connect to a standard rs232 type cable and in turn, using the nexRemote software you can control the telescope without a hand control.

However, used hand controls can be bought on EBay for $50 so that is usually a better option...

Al

#5 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

It is more a function of the scope not the software. If the brains are in the scope most scopes will allow total control from a computer without need for the controller. If however the brains are in the controller, you'll need the controller.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Are there any computer programs and interfaces(if needed) that would directly control the motors of various goto scopes and that do not need a working han controller ?

I know hand controllers can fail and that in the case of donated and estate sales the controllers are sometimes seperated or lost.Usually the price of a repacement controller from the original company costs more than I want to spend.

Two thus far:

NexRemote (Celestron scopes).
EQMOD (SynScan scopes--Orion, SkyWatcher, etc.)...

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Vanguard

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Two thus far:

If you have a Meade LX200 "Classic" scope without the handcontroller ... you can purchase the $30 "LX200 Keypad Simulator" dongle to initialize the scope and then use any planetarium program that has the LX200 drive protocol to control the scope:

http://www.dv-fansle..._keypad_sim.htm

Jim

#8 Charlie B

Charlie B

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Two thus far:

There is also Gemini for the Losmandy G8, G11 and Titan, HGM 200 and MI250. It also will support other "custom" mounts, but I don't know much about that feature.

Regards,

Charlie B

#9 BigC

BigC

Aurora

• topic starter
  • Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Celestron has software called nexRemote, this usually comes with a new telescope or mount. The new CPC line of telescopes have a "pc" port that you connect to a standard rs232 type cable and in turn, using the nexRemote software you can control the telescope without a hand control.

However, used hand controls can be bought on EBay for $50 so that is usually a better option...

Al

OK,I am seeing that used hand controller may be the better and simpler solution.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics