• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:26 AM

Search didn't find me anything so here is the question:

Are there any computer programs and interfaces(if needed) that would directly control the motors of various goto scopes and that do not need a working han controller ?

I know hand controllers can fail and that in the case of donated and estate sales the controllers are sometimes seperated or lost.Usually the price of a repacement controller from the original company costs more than I want to spend.

#2 Bill-in-BC

Bill-in-BC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

MaxIm DL allows telescope control from the keyboard, but you need to do your initial alignment using a hand controller. After perfoming a sync on a couple of stars using the hand controller, you can then use MaxIm DL for all your GOTO. (I'm using an LX200 Meade.)

#3 groz

groz

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Campbell River, BC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Cant say about the others, but, the EQ6 / HEQ5 / EQ3 series, based on the synscan controller, can all be operated directly from a pc, without the hand controller, buy simply purchasing a serial converter for them, commonly called the 'eqmod' type stuff. It's just an rs-232 -> 3Vttl converter. Shoestring astronomy sells the inexpensive eqdir module that does the trick, there are other variants out there.

#4 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:23 PM

Celestron has software called nexRemote, this usually comes with a new telescope or mount. The new CPC line of telescopes have a "pc" port that you connect to a standard rs232 type cable and in turn, using the nexRemote software you can control the telescope without a hand control.

However, used hand controls can be bought on EBay for $50 so that is usually a better option...

Al

#5 JAT Observatory

JAT Observatory

NOT a Wimp

• Loc: In the Primordial Soup

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:55 AM

It is more a function of the scope not the software. If the brains are in the scope most scopes will allow total control from a computer without need for the controller. If however the brains are in the controller, you'll need the controller.

#6 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Are there any computer programs and interfaces(if needed) that would directly control the motors of various goto scopes and that do not need a working han controller ?

I know hand controllers can fail and that in the case of donated and estate sales the controllers are sometimes seperated or lost.Usually the price of a repacement controller from the original company costs more than I want to spend.

Two thus far:

NexRemote (Celestron scopes).
EQMOD (SynScan scopes--Orion, SkyWatcher, etc.)...

#7 *skyguy*

*skyguy*

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Western New York

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

Two thus far:

If you have a Meade LX200 "Classic" scope without the handcontroller ... you can purchase the $30 "LX200 Keypad Simulator" dongle to initialize the scope and then use any planetarium program that has the LX200 drive protocol to control the scope:

http://www.dv-fansle..._keypad_sim.htm

Jim

#8 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Two thus far:

There is also Gemini for the Losmandy G8, G11 and Titan, HGM 200 and MI250. It also will support other "custom" mounts, but I don't know much about that feature.

Regards,

Charlie B

#9 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

Celestron has software called nexRemote, this usually comes with a new telescope or mount. The new CPC line of telescopes have a "pc" port that you connect to a standard rs232 type cable and in turn, using the nexRemote software you can control the telescope without a hand control.

However, used hand controls can be bought on EBay for $50 so that is usually a better option...

Al

OK,I am seeing that used hand controller may be the better and simpler solution.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics