#52 Scott Beith

Scott Beith

SRF

• Administrators
  • Loc: Frederick, MD

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Garrett® 100mm F/5.3 45º Mk II Binocular Telescope

https://www.garretto...-p/gt100-45.htm

The reason I would like to own them is not based on personal experience, but a desire to use them for long range terrestrial observing.

#53 Simon S

Simon S

Vanguard

• Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

The pair locked in the captains quarters on the Titanic.

#54 timfiskwa

timfiskwa

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Richardson, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Fujinon 10 X 50 for handhelds.

#55 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Skylab

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

Maybe a 110 mm BA8 series.

And then again..the bulk and weight keep putting me off. But the aperture is so very temtping...

#56 Gordon Rayner

Gordon Rayner

Vanguard

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

You would like a Fuji 40 x 150 right angle. Such a specimen has not existed, correct?

I had use of a Fuji 25 x 150 right angle , as a demonstrator, for about the or three months, during the pre-Halley's comet sales push . It weighed about the same, some 65 pounds, as the straight view, trunnioned fork mounted Fuji I (my terminology)straight view widely used for fishing , mounted with thick bungee cords to isolate from engine vibration and some of the pitch and roll of the boats.

The right angle 25 x 150 had noticeable drop in field illumination, in comparison with the straight view. The pentaprism which fed the Porro II (same Porro II as in the straight view) seemed to be the maximum size which would fit without major changes in the body casting and departures from the f/5 objectives. Also, conveniently, that pentaprism was already used in a Japanese armored vehicle, I was told by a Fuji mechanical designer.

The Chinese semi-copies, and much smaller right angle penta feeding Porro II have appeared in the past few years have had problems , probably related to the topic just mentioned.
Smaller Chinese right angle view have shown non-circular exit pupils from asymmetric beam chopoffs in the prisms.

The glass path in a penta plus Porro II is very long. The semi-penta (plus Porro II), used in some 45 deg. inclined view 150mm. Chinese versions, has a shorter glass path.

Are there any Fuji 45 deg inclined 150mm ED outside Japan or the one widely known specimen in Europe? Can we get together a 5-piece minimum order?

Addendum 12/31/2012 :

A PM from the owner and user of a Fuji 45 deg. inclined view 25 x 150 ED indicates that it uses a Schmidt roof prism feeding a rhomboid, ff. WW II Japanese 45 deg inclined 20 x 120 by NIKKO, TOKO, etc., which show roof edge spikes when viewing Sirius, rather than a half-penta feeding a Porro II.

I have or had an 80mm WW II Japanese shipboard binoc, with spring suspension mount, which is half-Penta plus Porro II.

I have never seen a Fuji 45 deg inclined 25 x 150. Schmidt roof prism plus rhomboid was my guess, until Glenn LeDrew converted me, from consideration of external body configuration in the prisms housings , to the view that it uses a half-penta ( one surface metallized, rather that the two in a full 90 deg. pentaprism ) feeding a Porro II.

But, presently, that idea seems erroneous, from the cited testimony.

#57 EverlastingSky

EverlastingSky

Viking 1

• Loc: Vancouver Canada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

If fictional instruments are accepted then I would settle for a modest non existent Fujinon 20x100. Quite acceptable without 45° by the way.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics