• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cnahm

cnahm

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: St. Louis, Missouri

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I'm thinking about scouting around for a used C9.25 OTA around the end of the year. It will mainly be used on an alt-az mount as a visual scope. Would there be much benefit in seeking out an EdgeHD version? Is there much difference between the two for observational use?

Many thanks in advance!

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

Might want to put this up in the Cats and Casses forum. For visual only I don't think there is a major difference as long as you are observing primarily on axis. The edge advantage is a flatter field to the edge (hence the name) for astrophotography.

#3 cnahm

cnahm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Ah, oops, ....I totally missed there was a forum for Cats/Casses. Apologies.

But thanks, and that's about what I figured. I am thinking maybe I'll make do with a standard C9.25 for visual use, and eventually step up to a more flat-field model down the road if I decide to image at all.

Thanks again.

#4 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I know there are people who use the C9.25 on alt-az mounts but, personally, I found the field of view in the 9.25 too narrow to be much fun on an alt-az.

I did enjoy a carbon fibre 9.25 on an EQ mount though. Very good optics.

I'm really enjoying the Skywatcher carbon fibre Quattro 200 (8" f/4) Newt on an alt-az though (AZ4). Fun for just tooling around the sky with a Panoptic 24, and pretty good on Jupiter and the Moon. I'm also using a Parcorr T2 though.

#5 cnahm

cnahm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

Thanks for the thoughts... I'm just getting back into the hobby, so am gathering as much info as possible.

I suppose my thoughts of a C9.25 for alt-az visual use could use some rethinking... Also, the only C9.25 I know of with any cooling is the EdgeHD. That's one thing that has put me off of using my Intes Micro MN56 in cool/cold weather-- the currents take a ridiculous amount of time to die down so you get any sort of enjoyable views.

I suppose ideally I'd like something in the 8-10" range, with cooling, and a good balance of fast/med focal ratio so that planetary observing is good too. Maybe it's just another newtonian OTA, I don't know. My Stellarvue MG2 mount's capacity is supposedly about 25lbs.

#6 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

You also might consider an older used C9.25. I own the Ultima C9.25 that was supplied with a very nice digital focuser. I find the optics to be excellent in this particular example.

#7 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

I wouldn't worry too much about using a C9.25 on an alt-az mount for visual use as long as you know the night sky fairly well and will use a finder scope with the C9.25 to help your star hops. I have used alt-az mounts from UA for about 5-6 years now as I enjoy finding the object without the aid of a go-to system..makes it more fun and challenging..especially when looking for small compact distant galaxy groups like the Hickson's/Arp's. I have found about 20 Hickson groups so far in the last year since starting to look for them as a greater challenge.

I have both a Meade 12" ACF and a Celestron 14" SCT for my largest scopes.

I owned a nice C9.25 about 3 years ago and it was a fantastic scope..I can highly recommend it as it is fairly lightweight and portable. Good luck..

Bill

#8 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I've got a regular C-9.25 on a Unistar-Sokkia tripod that weighs in at 50 lbs. For me it's easy to carry as a unit and the mounts a pleasure to use. As for finding stuff an AT red dot and 80mm Lumicon Super Finder used with 15 & 24 Pans do the job. My scopes very sharp, excellent for lunar-planetary has little coma and the field looks flat to me. I don't see the coma unless I look for it and use 100* eyepieces to good effect. I haven't looked through a Edge HD yet, needless to say I'm curious but I'm keeping my cat. David

#9 cnahm

cnahm

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:40 PM

David,
Thanks for the impressions. I suppose with your location thermal stabilization is not a huge issue!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics