22mm Vixen LVW

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Well, I finally did it! I was contemplating between a 20mm Pentax XW, 21mm Pentax XL, or back to a 20mm Nagler T2 even though the weight of this beast was a problem before!

I got up yesterday and got an email from Starman81, (Thanks Syed !), in which he informed me that a 22mm Vixen LVW was up on Astromart! it sure was, and it was a good friend of mine who put the ad up! (JunoMike).

Well, Mike was kind enough to offer me to try out the 20mm Nag T2, 20mm XW, and 22mm Vixen LVW, so I WAS going to wait to do the shootout.....until I kept seeing the 22mm Vixen LVW,(he had 2 for sale), so I had heard that this EP was good at handling steep light cones of short FL telescopes.

I thought about it for a bit and bit the bullet! I also wanted something NEW to try.

So, I will be putting this EP through its paces when clear skies arrive! Let the games begin! :jump:

Attached Files

#2 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:41 PM

I got a 8 LVW a few months ago and it's become one of my favorites. Image quality wise it's up there with my Ethos, XWs, Delos and WO UWAN. David

#3 and75

and75

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hungary

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:54 PM

Congrats, you have a wonderful eyepiece! It's my favorite in my collection. When I bought it (used from a friend of mine) I had the opportunity to buy the 8mmLVW, but I missed it.
It gives me 29x magnification, a great low mag. widefield EP. I use it more frequently than the 35pan, because the astigmatism in my eye is very disturbing when looking into the panoptic.

#4 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Excellent eyepiece. I used to own the whole set except the 42mm and just reacquired a 22mm for outreach events as it's also one of the easy eyepieces to use with lots of eye relief. As far as using it with a fast dob I have always use a paracorr, but a friend of mine used the whole line of eyepieces for years in his 18" f4.5 dob and he never used a paracorr with them.

Cheers,

#5 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Mark, the Vixen LVW 22mm is my favorite low-power 1.25" EP. I don't plan to ever sell mine--it's that good!

#6 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

...until I kept seeing the 22mm Vixen LVW,(he had 2 for sale)...

Sounds like a BVer pair... breaking up the band, eh?

I also have such a pair- actually, both 22mm & 17mm LVW pairs. Honestly, the chances of mine showing up for sale are slim-to-none! I really adore these EPs... such nice views, sharp to the edges (Denk+Dob).

Not much doubt in my mind- you will really enjoy that 22.
Congrats!
:grin: mike b

#7 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

Congrats, Markus - guess who got the other one? ;) This was the last LVW I was looking for to complete my collection (I don't have the 17mm, but don't feel free the need for it). I'm quite happy with the edge performance and flat field they provide on both my scopes, so I'm expecting the same thing from the 22mm.

I'm glad he had two, as the 22mm seems to be the hardest to come by on the used market.

#8 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I'm another happy user of the 22mm LVW. It's the "starter" eyepiece in my deep space bag.

#9 junomike

junomike

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ontario

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

Mark and Terence! Enjoy! I really do think the 22mm (and 8mm) are the stars in the set and I contemplated selling them.

But I have waaaayyyy to much gear with doubles and triple of certain focal lengths and something had to go.
Because I mainly use my 11" SCT were the dreaded FC isn't a real Issue, I opted to keep the XW's.

As for the Binoviewer, I was really excited about getting the second 22mm LVW into my TV Bino, only to find out that I strongly preferred the 24mm Pans for eye placement.
I borrowed a second 20mm XW to try as well, but couldn't merge them :(

Mike

#10 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

Sure Mark, I'm glad you got it! I too have one, actually a pair, that I am testing out in the binoviewer. I need the clouds to roll out to do some real observing with it though.

#11 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:06 AM

:jump:

#12 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Nice one Mark, congrats on a fine addition to the stall! One question...
Can the LVW be used in 2" mode like the Hyperion?

#13 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Yup, the LVW's have a 2" 'collar' that fits 2" focusers :)

#14 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

I got a 8 LVW a few months ago and it's become one of my favorites. Image quality wise it's up there with my Ethos, XWs, Delos and WO UWAN. David

David, yes the 8 is indeed a nice EP as well which I used for planets and deep sky!

Congrats, you have a wonderful eyepiece! It's my favorite in my collection. When I bought it (used from a friend of mine) I had the opportunity to buy the 8mmLVW, but I missed it.
It gives me 29x magnification, a great low mag. widefield EP. I use it more frequently than the 35pan, because the astigmatism in my eye is very disturbing when looking into the panoptic.

Thanks! I'm more than looking forward to trying it out tonight!

Excellent eyepiece. I used to own the whole set except the 42mm and just reacquired a 22mm for outreach events as it's also one of the easy eyepieces to use with lots of eye relief. As far as using it with a fast dob I have always use a paracorr, but a friend of mine used the whole line of eyepieces for years in his 18" f4.5 dob and he never used a paracorr with them.

Should be nice in my 10" !!!

Mark, the Vixen LVW 22mm is my favorite low-power 1.25" EP. I don't plan to ever sell mine--it's that good!

--------------------
Clear skies,
Scott

:fingerscrossed:

Sounds like a BVer pair... breaking up the band, eh?

I also have such a pair- actually, both 22mm & 17mm LVW pairs. Honestly, the chances of mine showing up for sale are slim-to-none! I really adore these EPs... such nice views, sharp to the edges (Denk+Dob).

Not much doubt in my mind- you will really enjoy that 22.
Congrats!
mike b

:jump: I hope it works out !!!

Congrats, Markus - guess who got the other one? This was the last LVW I was looking for to complete my collection (I don't have the 17mm, but don't feel free the need for it). I'm quite happy with the edge performance and flat field they provide on both my scopes, so I'm expecting the same thing from the 22mm.

I'm glad he had two, as the 22mm seems to be the hardest to come by on the used market.

The 22mm LVW does seem to be the hardest to find Terence !!! CONGRATS!!!

I'm another happy user of the 22mm LVW. It's the "starter" eyepiece in my deep space bag.

Nice!

Mark and Terence! Enjoy! I really do think the 22mm (and 8mm) are the stars in the set and I contemplated selling them.

But I have waaaayyyy to much gear with doubles and triple of certain focal lengths and something had to go.
Because I mainly use my 11" SCT were the dreaded FC isn't a real Issue, I opted to keep the XW's.

As for the Binoviewer, I was really excited about getting the second 22mm LVW into my TV Bino, only to find out that I strongly preferred the 24mm Pans for eye placement.
I borrowed a second 20mm XW to try as well, but couldn't merge them

Mike

Thanks again Mike !!! From every review I have read, this one seems to handle steep light cones the best, except the 20mm Nagler T2! That was on my list as well!

Sure Mark, I'm glad you got it! I too have one, actually a pair, that I am testing out in the binoviewer. I need the clouds to roll out to do some real observing with it though.

Me too, thanks to you! :cool:

Nice one Mark, congrats on a fine addition to the stall! One question...
Can the LVW be used in 2" mode like the Hyperion?

Yep !!! Also, see the 2" adapter in my pic! I have it on there because I tested a 17mm LVW and it also needed the adpater so it will be parfocal with my Pentax XW's and my 38mm Orion Q70!

Cheers,

#15 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:12 PM

I used it once with my 12" f/4.9 and then the f/4 Stellarvue finder. It is a great eyepiece. A pitty they didn't stretch it to 24mm 68 for maximum TFOV.

#16 Starman81

Starman81

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:16 PM

I used it once with my 12" f/4.9 and then the f/4 Stellarvue finder. It is a great eyepiece. A pitty they didn't stretch it to 24mm 68 for maximum TFOV.

I'm guessing there is a design constraint for 68* degree eyepieces of 24mm focal length that they cannot achieve 20mm eye relief, or else it would have been accomplished long ago. The Pan 24 and Orion Stratus 24mm have 15mm ER, Baader Hyperion 24 has 17mm ER and the ES68 24mm has 18mm (not all usable though).

#17 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm guessing there is a design constraint for 68* degree eyepieces of 24mm focal length that they cannot achieve 20mm eye relief, or else it would have been accomplished long ago. The Pan 24 and Orion Stratus 24mm have 15mm ER, Baader Hyperion 24 has 17mm ER and the ES68 24mm has 18mm (not all usable though).

:ubetcha: And the 24mm Panoptic, (to me), is the BEST of the bunch. The edge correction alone gives that EP big pointers!

Cheers,

#18 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:32 PM

And the 24mm Panoptic, (to me), is the BEST of the bunch.

I can see where one would say this. However, for those of us with eyeglasses for astigmatism, the 24-Pan is not so hot... its ER notably lacking, that its marvelous 68* field is reduced to an effective ~50*; may as well use a Plossl. :shrug:

Additionally, for Denk BVers, and units with similar prism sizes, the 24-Pan will likely vignette some. As i've stated many times- there is a reason that Denk markets a 21mm 65* EP! It better suits this type of BVer... something the 22-LVW also does exceedingly well!
;)

#19 eklf

eklf

Apollo

• Loc: Carrboro, NC

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:14 PM

....that its marvelous 68* field is reduced ...

There was some discussion years ago here, the gist of which is that the 24 pan is not a full 68* but more like 64*

#20 JBOU

JBOU

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

I've got one one the way for Christmas. After reading all the above posts, it's getting very hard to wait. Mine's coming from Japan with a friend who's visiting for Christmas. I lucked out - my friend's visit coincided with a sale in Japan that I learnt about in another thread.

Jim

#21 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:51 PM

There was some discussion years ago here, the gist of which is that the 24 pan is not a full 68* but more like 64*

Well, according to David Knisely, the 24mm Pan was bench tested and measured @ 69.7° apparent FOV!

http://www.cloudynig.../24panoptic.pdf

#22 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:32 PM

In any event, it did me little good in my BVers... if i viewed comfortably, my eyeglasses limited me to maybe ~low-60's for field, and if i pushed-in to where i could see the whole show, my glasses were pressed uncomfortably against my nose/face, and i was treated to notable edge-darkening from bino-vignetting. Finally got fed up, moved to an older pair of Meade 24.5mm SWA's which were much better in EVERY regard- except edge correction. Those were probably 62-64* AFoV designs.

Finally, pulled the trigger on the 22mm LVW's, already having a pair of 17's that i adored! They both measure out to ~63* AFoV, but it's a gorgeously sharp and accessible field, easy on us eyeglass users, and pretty much killer on EVERYthing they look at- deepsky, planets, lunar! Neutral of tone i'd say, unlike the Pans which were the TeleVue-standard... slightly warm.

Honestly, if i were a bare-eyed mono-view observer, i would've simply stuck with the 24-Pans, and been happy as a clam. I'm certainly into the chowder now... just took a longer & circuitous route to get there.
LVWs rock!
:rockon:

#23 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:59 AM

Hi Jim

The eyepieces are still on sale here in Japan... after getting the 8mm and 22mm I am wondering if the 5mm would be any good? :p

best regards
Chris

#24 fuzzystuff4ever

fuzzystuff4ever

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Micco, FL

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I have the 17mm and it's my absolute favorite eyepiece. Hope to get the whole set someday.

Brian

#25 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I've been holding out for a used 5mm XW to rear its head but this thread has now got me thinking the LVW 5 could be good alternative?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics