• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:30 PM

I've been holding out for a used 5mm XW to rear its head but this thread has now got me thinking the LVW 5 could be good alternative?

But you would then upset the perfect symmetry you could have if you get the XW 5 of 3 TeleVue and 3 Pentax in your lineup!! :lol:

#27 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

• Loc: Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

I was holding out for a 20mm Pentax XW, but money wise, the 22mm Vixen LVW was a no brainer. I also wanted the 20mm XW because it would match my 10mm & 7mm XW's, but over time and a dozen reviews, the 22mm LVW came up with better reviews than the 20mm XW field curvature wise. So I figured, what the heck, who really cares about "matching eyepieces." I think the 5mm LVW would be just fine, unless you're worried about lateral color.

I think the LVW's show more lateral color than the XW's if I am not mistaken? Maybe you could try before you buy?

http://www.spanglefi...72855#Vixen_LVW

Cheers,

#28 JBOU

JBOU

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Chris,

Don't do this to me! With the shop's awesome $8 overnight shipping, I still have time to get another focal length in my friend's hands. It's just that I already have 17mm and 13mm covered acceptably. The 22 will be replacing my 24 hyperion, which didn't quite do it for me both eye relief wise and view.

But then again, I've never been too happy with the view the 13mm hyperion gave me either... :confused:

#29 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

Chris,

Don't do this to me! With the shop's awesome $8 overnight shipping, I still have time to get another focal length in my friend's hands. It's just that I already have 17mm and 13mm covered acceptably. The 22 will be replacing my 24 hyperion, which didn't quite do it for me both eye relief wise and view.

But then again, I've never been too happy with the view the 13mm hyperion gave me either... :confused:

Ditch the 17mm and get the 22mm... That will give you a better spacing of powers, 68x and 115x instead of 68x and 88x and then you can dispense of the 24mm Hyperion as well.

#30 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

• Loc: Missisauga, Canada

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:29 PM

Incidentally, I'm getting the LVWs as a replacement for my (mostly) Orion Stratus EP set I was previously using (and still do on some occasions), which are functionally similar to the Hyperions. While they're pretty decent EPs for their price, I wasn't entirely happy with their off-axis performance (on my 10" dob).

#31 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Zurich Switzerland

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

:lol: I hear you....
The 22mm will also replace a 24mm Hyperion in my case.
8mm will go against a Nagler Type1 9mm, we will see how that goes.

The 5mm would be an alternative to some tight Ortho, with much more comfortable eye relief.... did not make up my mind yet. :confused:

best regards
Chris

#32 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Looks like I will be picking up another FL from The Vixen LVW line as well now !!! :jump:

#33 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

Markus... keeping Santa busy? :roflmao:

best regards
Chris

#34 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Yes Chris! I picked the eyepiece up a few hours ago! I will have some clear skies tomorrow night to test the 22mm LVW, 13mm LVW and new GSO ED barlow!

This will be fun! It's supposed to go down to -8 degrees C too !!!! (For my fellow Americans, this will be 27 degrees F, and feeling like 18) !!! :coldday: :lol:

Cheers,

#35 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Here they are together !!! The two VIXEN LVW Bros !!!! :bow:

Heading out tonight to test these puppies out !!! Thanks again Mike, (JunoMike). !!!! :jump:

Attached Files

#36 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

Nice! I used to have 8, 17 and 24 regular Hyperions and my 8 LVW is much better image quality wise. My Hyperion Zoon and 31 Aspheric are a lot better than the regular Hyperions but not at the LVW's level. David

#37 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:02 PM

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the EP - I got mine yesterday, although I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile to test it out, considering the miserable weather we've been having.

Here's mine along with the mismatched set of LVWs I've collected (a couple of Orion branded ones in the mix - beggars can't be choosers!)

Attached Files

#38 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:21 PM

As a point of interest, not only were the Vixen LVWs released under the "Orion" label, there were at least *two* design releases as "Vixen", and they were slightly different in build... enough so that bino-pairs wouldn't be a very good match! I learned this the hard way... bought *three* EPs used to get TWO that matched.

FYI :grin:

Attached Files

#39 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:49 PM

I was wondering about that! I thought it was a little odd why my 8mm didn't have the "LVW" printed on the side. I found both varieties when checking images on Google, so I assumed they simply changed the printing at some point.

#40 Mike B

Mike B

Starstruck

• Loc: shake, rattle, & roll, CA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

Here's another shot, more in profile. While in my possession, i attempted BVing with them; for *both* to reach focus, one had to be pulled out of the BVer's collets quite a bit... it stayed in okay, and i could view that way- but the very real concern of that EP slipping out & heading south made me wait 'til i had a truly matching set.

The one's withOUT the 'LVW' in bold caps are the *older* of the two versions. I ended up with *newer* pairs of the 17's, then later the 22's also. These two sets represent probably 90% of my BVer use. :ubetcha:

At least for the 22's i KNEW what to look for, so that time it only took TWO trys to get a match! :foreheadslap:

Attached Files

#41 Hermie

Hermie

Ranger 4

• Loc: Cloudy HKG

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have two LVW 22s that I BV with - one is the Orion brand and the other is the "new" style. Optically, they are identical and they BV without any problems.

I like them a lot.

Hermie

#42 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:29 PM

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report. :yay:

best regards
Chris

#43 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

Looking forward to reading your impressions of the EP - I got mine yesterday, although I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile to test it out, considering the miserable weather we've been having.

Here's mine along with the mismatched set of LVWs I've collected (a couple of Orion branded ones in the mix - beggars can't be choosers!)

Terence,

Those all look really nice! :bow:

As a point of interest, not only were the Vixen LVWs released under the "Orion" label, there were at least *two* design releases as "Vixen", and they were slightly different in build... enough so that bino-pairs wouldn't be a very good match! I learned this the hard way... bought *three* EPs used to get TWO that matched.

FYI

Those are also really nice too Mike! :bow:

#44 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:49 AM

Nice infos and images guys.... keep them coming!

Markus looking forward to your observation report.

best regards
Chris

Well, you asked for it, so here is my first impression!

I went out to a dark site the I frequent and met three friends there, (Tony, Steve and Brett). I set up my 10" scope, turned the fan on the back on full and waited. I had a few peeks into the 22mm LVW before the scope had cooled down because I was antsy and couldn't wait!....About an hour had passed, maybe almost 2 hours, so I really dug into the 22mm Vixen LVW and aimed it almost right overhead at THE DOUBLE CLUSTER.

To me, the DOUBLE CLUSTER is the ultimate test for edge sharpness because so many stars are in the field of view.

I COULDN'T BELIEVE WHAT I WAS SEEING. I looked away and yelled out aloud: "OH MY GOD" I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS !!!

The entire field of view was sharp, flat, crisp and it was like diamonds on velvet. NO PARACORR. The last view I had this sharp was when looking through a 20mm Nagler Type 2 with NO PARACORR. Why didn't I find this eyepiece a long time ago?????

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!! :bow:

I then swung over to M-42 in Orion, unscrewed the barlow element on my new GSO 2" ED barlow and added my orion Ultrablock and the view knocked my socks off !!! Out came the 22mm LVW + barlow element and I tried the 13mm Vixen LVW on M-42 with Orion Ultrablock and the view was great with this combination as well. I did prefer the 22mm LVW with barlow element which gave me 75x and a field of 55', which was perfect!

I also tried a few other targets with the 22mm Vixen LVW: M-37, M-35, and a few more goodies. I then looked at The Crab Nebula with the 13mm Vixen LVW at 90x and the view and scale was just right!

I GOTTA SAY ~ THESE EYEPIECES ROCK :rockon: :rockon: :rockon: Now I have 4 eyepieces that show me a nice flat field, (22mm LVW, 13mm LVW, 10mm Pentax XW, 7mm Pentax XW). My 5th eyepiece is the Orion 38mm Q70 with seagulls and all, but very easy to look through and serves as my "finder" eyepiece.

Cheers,

Attached Files

#45 tezster

tezster

Viking 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Wonderful report, Markus. The skies cleared enough last night for me to do some very casual impromptu observing from my patio. I only used my refractor, as I didn't have the patience to setup my dob and wait for it to cool down, so it wasn't a 'true' test as I saw it (as my dob is quite a bit faster at F4.7).

In any case, I was very pleased with the views it provided; stars were pretty much pinpoints right up to the field stop, maybe they got a tiny bit softer towards the very edge, but not by much.

I scanned through the Pleiades, Hyades, the clusters in Auriga, Orion Nebula (of course) - all very nice views despite the light pollution and local street lights I have to live with.

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

#46 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Mark,

Great report. I've heard that these LVW 22mm are very nice eyepieces with sharp, flat fields. The only problem I've read about them is some lateral color. But unless you're observing the Moon, who cares? Personally, I don't expect any eyepiece to be excellent at everything.

The only LVW I have is an 8mm, which I like for deep sky mostly, but also for planets once in a while. The LVW 8 and 22 are supposed to be the best of that line. I've used the 8mm for viewing the Moon a couple times, but didn't notice any inordinate amount of lateral color, if any at all. But then, I don't really go looking for it. Field curvature is my pet peeve, not so much lateral color.

I have the opportunity to pick up a used XW 20mm at a great price. The lateral color is said to be better controlled in the XW's, but the reports are that FC is pretty bad in the 20mm. It should be horrible to my eyes. On the other hand, my Paracorr will probably flatten it out fairly well. I'll probably buy the XW 20, as it's an offer I can't refuse. I'll just have to use it always with the Paracorr.

Mike

#47 Damo636

Damo636

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Co Fermanagh, Northern Ireland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Nice report Mark, the 22 sounds like a real winner!

#48 Scanning4Comets

Scanning4Comets

Markus

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

Thanks you guys!!!! :cool:

I also followed part of Ganymede's transit across Jupiter with my 5mm LVW - very nice, sharp views of the cloud bands, and the shadow of the moon moving across its surface. Although I did notice some lateral colour with Jupiter towards the edges.

--------------------
Terence

Nice report from you as well Terence! All four of us went back and forth between all 4 scopes that were there and we also viewed the transit as well! It was awesome !!! :bow: At close to 11:30 PM EST, we were all just kinda standing around chit chatting when I decided to have a peek in a friend's 5" F/9 refractor which was tracking Jupiter and The moon was grazing the side of Jupiter itself and also casting a shadow !!! This was my first time ever seeing this and I forgot to mention it, as it was a huge added BONUS besides the testing of eyepieces I was doing !!!!

Cheers,

#49 chboss

chboss

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:36 PM

Great reports, the LVW's seem to work well for all of you. :D
Waiting for some time under stars myself but will not happen in the coming two weeks I fear. :(

best regards
Chris

#50 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

80mm Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

Needless to say, the 22mm Vixen LVW is the BEST eyepiece I have ever used in this focal length HANDS DOWN !!! :bow:

Glad to hear you like your new EP so much, Mark! I consider mine a keeper as well. :)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics