Photo

note of lunar science (dome in herodotus)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 raffaello

raffaello

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

See please the study including the image at the link

http://digilander.li...omine/domo2.jpg

Use the zoom at full screen for your browser.

Herodotus omega is a prominent dome, well known but i was interested for myself to measure it including a 3D reconstruction

Yes ...we have the probes (i used also the data inferred from LOLA dem LROC and GLD 100 with ACT react map) but i have also my Mak-Cassegrain 18 cm telescope, a bit of science and interest for the lunar surface since decades and more.

The herodotus omega dome was analyzed,an isolated lunar mare dome at longitude 49.98° W latitude 20.20° N,

imaged on November 25 2012 at 22:56 UT, corresponding to a solar altitude of 7.1°.

Lunar software were used to investigate my study including excel spreadsheet for shape of shading approach, LTVT software package and Image J.

The study is compesed by following labels

(a) Image made by R.Lena November 25 2012 at 22:56 UT from Rome. Herodotus omega dome is on the left very prominent

(B) Image on the same date at 23:00 UT, the dome is very prominent with a central vent

© crop of the preceding image transformed in cylindrical projection using LTVT, deleting the foreshortening

(d) Rendered image using LOLA Dem with LTVT same illumination condition of the terrestrial CCD image

(e) GLD 100 dataset: surface elevation of the dome computed as 220-230 m

(f) Cross sectional profile obtained with photoclinometry applied to terrestrial CCD image. After calibration and subtraction of lunar curvature heigth of 230 m was computed

(g) Cross sectional profile of the dome in west-east direction using the Shape of shading method starting from the terrestrial CCD image shown in fig c transformed in cylindrical projection

(h-i) 3D mesh recontruction of the dome from CCD image. The heigth amounts to 230 m according to GLD 100 dataset

(l-m) DEM from CCD image as termal lut view and 3D view as mesh gradient including the central vent (dome dimension 12 km =>14.2x9.7 km)

(n) final 3D recontruction of the dome from CCD image from east direction

The computation obtained from our Earth shows the dome with the final study. It is high 230 +/- 25 m yielding a slope of 2.2° +/- 0.2°.

Raffaello Lena

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics