Photo

Tripod for Alt-Az Mount

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 davelid

davelid

Lift Off

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

Looking for suggestions for a tripod for an alt-az mount. I have tried the Vixen/Celestron GP/CG5 aluminum tripod, the Astrotech aluminum tripod, a Vixen tripod head with wooden legs and a Manfrotto 028 heavy duty photo tripod. The wooden tripod works best, followed by the Manfrotto. The two aluminum tripods have lots of vibrations. I have heard good things about the Sokkia surveyor tripods, but they are an ugly green (or yellow). I have considered the Oberwerk surveyor tripod. Suggestions for low vibration tripods will be appreciated (have a SV 110 scope on it).
Thanks!
Dave

#2 exparrot

exparrot

Explorer 1

• Loc: Dallas/Fort Worth, TX

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:55 AM

Berlebach makes excellent surveyor tripods - ash wood, natural. Lots of choices. You can order them with any top plate style you want.

Here's the UNI series:
http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

They have a lighter-duty series called the Report series:
http://www.berlebach...sprache=english

They also have the "Sky" and "Planet" models, which are for large mounts.

Jerry

#3 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Sounds like you've already tried some pretty good tripods. The surveryor's tripod is probably worth a try, but have you tried adding anti-vibration pads to your best current tripod? They DO work, and can reduce vibration settling time by about 50%.

-Dan

#4 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:54 AM

Big Binoculars has their wood tripod blems for sale at $100. A good deal. I own two of them.

#5 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Dave, which alt-az mount are you using? Have you not ruled out that your mount may be contributing to the vibration?

#6 davelid

davelid

Lift Off

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:28 PM

I currently have a Voyager. Thinking of upgrade to Macrostar. The arm on the Voyager might be contributing to the shake?

Dave

#7 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:15 PM

The arm on the Voyager might be contributing to the shake?

It's possible. Read this thread about some not happy with the Voyager in terms of vibration.

Your idea to upgrade to a Universal Astronomics mount is a very good one. The MacroStar is nice, but it's not tall enough for your OTA in my opinion - you would need to extend your tripod legs to get the eyepiece at a comfortable height, and the OTA would get in the way of the tripod legs when pointed near the zenith.

You could add an additional $70 and get the UniStar - it positions the OTA up and out of the way of the tripod legs, and it has more capacity as well. I use a UniStar with my ED120, and I like it very much. You have a nice refractor - it deserves an equally nice mount and tripod.

#8 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

• Loc: massachusetts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

I use a Quarter Hitch on the Oberwerk wood (Jarrah) tripod for my relatively heavy FLT110, and its surprisingly stable and vibration free. The lightweight mount and tripod puts the whole setup in "grab 'n go" territory, which is nice.

#9 davelid

davelid

Lift Off

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Hi - Does the arm on the UniStar add to vibration? That is one reason I was considering the MacroStar. The MacroStar on a tripod with center column might solve the interference between the OTA and the tripod legs. I have only heard great things about the UniStar though.

#10 Adam Taylor

Adam Taylor

Ranger 4

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

I have my UniStar mounted on a Meade field tripod on VSPs, and with the ~18 lb load mounted on it, I get dampening times of about 1 second. I think that's pretty good.

I believe a MacroStar mounted on a column like Stellarvue's MEC2 column would be an excellent combo as well.

#11 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

When my extrudinum :smirk: AT Voyager legs broke, i picked up these wooden legs from Hands on Optics

Works fine for me, (small refractors/maks through 5")

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics