• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Honeoye Falls, NY USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:37 PM

Has anyone any experience imaging the sun in white light or in Ha, using the Canon 60Da? Perhaps only with the red channel? Thanks for any comments

#2 Gary BEAL

Gary BEAL

Surveyor 1

• Loc: New Zealand

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

While not specifically with the 60Da, I have used a DSLR (Canon and Sony) for white light. I couldn't make the Ha imaging happen with my DSLR, I gave up, and bought a DMK, and now a PGR Flea2.
Others have managed, but to me the ability to capture images with the Flea (and the DMK except it wasn't happy with my AMD chipped PC), was chalk and cheese with the DSLR.
Try it, but if you get the chance, try also the webcam style, that way you will know.
Gary

#3 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:30 AM

I have to be honest, in Ha solar, I think results that are achieved with a DSLR (of any species IMHO) are only ever comparable to ones taken with a bogstandard $25 webcam - apart from a wider fov with the DSLR.

Even just using the red channel you are only ever using a 1/4 of the bayer matrix on the CMOS chip, the resultant images are then low resolution consequently...

Sorry!

#4 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

Thank you for the reply. I get pretty good results with my DMK41 already. Yet even with the 25% pixel utilization of a typical DSLR in Ha, I'd still be getting 3.5x (or so) more pixels than the DMK. My question is generated by the fact that the Canon 60Da has 3 times the Ha sensitivity than a standard, unmodified DSLR and what is the impact of this?

Not an inexpensive way to go but I might try it just to see. There's absolutely no way it could replace a Ha filter but it might enhance white light solar imaging. Guess I could always re-sell it should it be a bust.

#5 marktownley

marktownley

Cosmos

• -----
  • Loc: West Midlands, UK

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Definitely worth a go! :) I would use the DMK41 though all of the time for solar though, I reckon this will give you the bets results everytime :)

I guess the imapact of the increased Ha sensitivity of the 60Da over a bog standard DSLR is that exposure time would be shorter.

#6 johnww

johnww

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:27 PM

I achieve very good results taking Ha shots with a Canon 550D - the trick is to have the right image processing software. I was advised that the increased Ha sensitivity of the new Canon 60Da is useful for night time astrophotos not the Sun.
However it would be worth experimenting - but only if you can already get good results with a normal DSLR camera and have your processing right. The big advantage of DSLR pics of the Sun is that single image shots can be taken - mine take me only minutes to download and fully process. Good luck - keep us imformed.

#7 John P

John P

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

What image processing software is your preference?

#8 Jim Lafferty

Jim Lafferty

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

I have a brief tutorial I worked up for another guy using a DSLR for solar imaging--you can find it at:

http://scopetrader.c...ferty/?page=319

He was using a Canon 7D. I would image you could get even better results with the 60Da although I would still go with a DMK or Skynyx for most solar Ha work.

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics