Feathertouch question

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

• Loc: West Collette, NB, Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Hey all, I'm in the process of choosing a beefier focuser for my MN65, and it looks like it will be either a Moonlite or a feathertouch. There is a base plate that will fit my scope from Moonlite that won't require any hole drilling, but the options from Feathertouch are kind of vague in their desctiption.

Is there someone out there who has fitted a FT to a newer Intes scope that could share how they did it?

Any other options that will lift a 4.5lb camera?

#2 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

Here is the web site for Feathertouch, you could email them or just call them to clear things up. link

#3 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

I've used both. I find the Feathertouch just a tiny bit more smooth, but as far as accurate, heavy duty focussers go, either will serve you very well.

I'd contact FT about the adapter. My experience with Moonlite and their adapters have all been positive.
David

#4 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

That's good to know. It's also hard to ignore the almost $100 difference between the two, especially since they almost give the same performance.

#5 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:30 PM

Any other options that will lift a 4.5lb camera?

How about Jim's Mobile.

Regards,

Charlie B

#6 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

The JMI doesn't have any adapters for the IM scopes at all, and I'm not crazy about the idea of drilling holes in the tube...

#7 Charlie B

Charlie B

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Virginia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

Maybe not, but look at this thread. It seems fairly easy to build an adapter to mate the EV focuser to the existing MN plate without drilling holes into the tube.

Charlie B

#8 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

It just happens the scope I need to replace the focuser on is the very scope pictured in that thread...

So far, I'm leaning towards the Moonlite, as even with the $40 MN adapter, it's still $30 cheaper than the bare JMI or FT, and I don't need to drill any holes or cobble together adapter plates.

The toughest part is to pick a color, I guess... :crazy:

#9 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

• Loc: Coulee Region, Wisconsin

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

Red. :grin:

Best, Linda B.

#10 SteveG

SteveG

Skylab

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Moonlite - in Black

Attached Files

#11 JimMo

JimMo

I'd Rather Do It Myself

• Loc: Under the SE Michigan lightdome

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

Yup, basic black goes with everything.

Attached Files

#12 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

The toughest part is to pick a color, I guess... :crazy:

http://www.astrogood...e.goldeneye.jpg

Gold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for the input, all! Just got the confirmation email, I have a classic red two speed Moonlite headed my way.

Everything I read about ML has them "just" behind Feathertouch in terms of smoothness, and there is an almost $100 price difference.

Ultimately, the clear explanations on the website, and ease of ordering what I needed were what tipped the decision in ML's favor.

Note to merchants: In this day and age, when all else is equal (or is close to) your website is crucial. In a lot of cases, it is what makes the difference. In this case, it certainly did...

#14 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Thanks for the input, all! Just got the confirmation email, I have a classic red two speed Moonlite headed my way.

Everything I read about ML has them "just" behind Feathertouch in terms of smoothness, and there is an almost $100 price difference.

Ultimately, the clear explanations on the website, and ease of ordering what I needed were what tipped the decision in ML's favor.

Note to merchants: In this day and age, when all else is equal (or is close to) your website is crucial. In a lot of cases, it is what makes the difference. In this case, it certainly did...

Agree with above. A few years ago I went through the FT vs ML exercise, and Ron's (ML) communication and great attitude was the deciding factor. The guys at FT basically told me that their focuser wouldn't fit my scope.

Their loss. There's a much larger dob in my future as I just made my hotel reservations for NEAF.

#15 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

Roger,

Congratulations on your incoming classic red Moonlite focuser. I also agree on the website ease of use. I found the ML site very easy to navigate and also to understand what I needed. I felt that the Starlight site was confusing. I love my Moonlites.

Looking forward to photo of your scope with new Moonlite. :grin:

Best, Linda B.

#16 frolinmod

frolinmod

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:20 AM

I don't think there's any doubt that the ML has more adapters for more scopes than FT. ML seems to be more motivated and less complacent in that regard. I currently have eight FT focusers and no ML focusers, but I think that's likely to change.

#17 M13 Observer

M13 Observer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

I don't think there's any doubt that the ML has more adapters for more scopes than FT. ML seems to be more motivated and less complacent in that regard. I currently have eight FT focusers and no ML focusers, but I think that's likely to change.

I too have quite a few FT focusers on a variety of telescopes. The one thing that always held me back from the ML focuser is its physical size. It is bigger and blockier. The focusing knobs are very large and seem to stick out forever, but especially on the dual focus side. The FT just looks more refined with the smaller casing and the compact knob assembly. If I had the ML instead of the FT on several of my scopes, I simply would not be able to fit them into their respective cases.

#18 RogerRZ

RogerRZ

Whatta you lookin' at?

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

Seven days and one border crossing later, the new Moonlite bolted up in less than a minute. Now that's service...

No sag with the ST2000, and first light is tonight. Woohoo!

Attached Files

#19 Agatha

Agatha

Apollo

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Roger,

It is beautiful. Nothing says Moonlite like that lovely red.

Have fun with it :) :)

Best, Linda B.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics