• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tbone0168

tbone0168

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone in the house used this product on a CGEM?

http://www.telescope...Form&keyword...

If so how well is its performance?.....Instead of hooking it up to an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch can it simply be used with a laptop?

Terrance

#2 slipfit

slipfit

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have this unit; I make connection with Stellarium with my CPC 800. It works very well, I wanted to use it with an android tablet, but the tablet does not make an ad-hoc connection. To use it with a laptop you have to use a virtual com port. Software is free on the net. Once a connection is made it acts as if the scope is connected directly to the laptop. The only thing is to watch time on the batteries, or plug it into power supply, which is better. The unit plugs into the bottom of the hand control with the supplied cable.

The software for virtual com port can be found at Southernstars web site. One is Com2Tcp it is free trial software, works really good. Other software can be found there too.

In Stellarium software, you setup the telescope plugin for the telescope you have and com port, and you are good to go. It also works with other planetarium software, just set it up in the software package of your chose.
When in use with Stellarium, there will be a bull’s eye like marker on the screen to where the scope is pointing. You pick an object on the screen and press ctrl+1 and the bull’s eye and scope will move to the object. Really cool.

When doing an alignment, connect StarSeek to the hand control, but leave it turned off, do the alignment as you normally do, after the alignment is done, turn on StarSeek and make a connection to the laptop, and you are ready to start. I hope this helps and clear skies

#3 tbone0168

tbone0168

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Long Island, New York

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:53 AM

Great info!.....Thanks!

Clear skies!

Terrance

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics