6 replies to this topic

#1 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Michigan Watershed

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Hello,
I am starting to explore the possibility of getting the Q 3.5" Field Model, and using it on an alt-azm mount. Have a couple questions.

First to anticipate a reasonable piece of advice that may be offered. Ihe Duplex version could be dual use., and further, with the mount's very functional and smooth manual slow-mo controls, I would have the "best of both worlds". ;)
I have used a duplex from a local college a few times in the past. If I could save up that much money i would go that route. But, my main aim is the optics :)

I should also add that i have other scopes, been doing this for 5 decades, etc.

So with the preliminaries out of the way, my questions.

1. Have any of you used a Field Model on an Alt-Azm mount with slow-mo controls? your experience would be appreciated.

2. With a many alt-azm mounts (like my AT Voyager) one has to use an "L" bracket adaptor to mount an OTA via the tripod screw hole(s) if it has a built in back.
I have experimented with my ETX 90 OTA* in this manner. I have noticed that the front heavy nature of the the ota (with a healthy dewshield) sometimes challenges the mount's slow mo controls. Would this be a factor with the Q?

3. As an alternative, one can use rings mounted ahead of the control box (i know, that may block the finder on the Q, depending on the ring design), attached to the appropos dovetail. I have done this with my ETX 105 OTA*. But then the control box can result in the opposite balance problem, i.e., back heavy. Would this be a factor with the Q?

4. How much does the Q 3.5" OTA weigh? Could not spot that at the Questar site.

Any light you may shed on these matters would be nice.

*the ETX 90 was the old RA type. Ditched the mount after one night. The 105 was purchased used, OTA only. I do not find the ETX mounts to be amusing. :smirk:

#2 Masvingo

Masvingo

Viking 1

• Loc: Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:33 PM

Hi

Company 7's web site says less than 3 lbs on this page and 3lbs or 1.4kg on this page.

James

#3 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

... 3 lbs ...

Thanks!

#4 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

Da bump.............no experience to relate?

#5 gwd

gwd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: DC

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

I didn't respond because I don't normally use my 1987 field model with a tripod that has slo-mo controls. Once I stuck it on a friend's photo tripod. The slow motion knobs were nice but not needed if your normal tripod is smooth- low static friction. I use it on a couple photo tripods, the screw that fits the camera fits the field model base just fine. No need for any special bracket. My strongest eyepiece is the 12mm about 100x without barlow. My best tripod is some Italian model that someone gave me. It was made for video cameras. Very smooth action. I put the handle on backwards so it doesn't interfere near zenith. Right around zenith is is a pain to find things.

I use the field model much more at night than day.

#6 moynihan

moynihan

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:40 AM

Thanks gwd

#7 Panotaker

Panotaker

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Austin, Texas

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

I got a field model and a Birder. Basically the same scopes, but the birder has a 10x finder and fast focus. I use both on a Bogen fluid video head. It is very smooth. You can slide the scope front and back on the video head tripod bracket to adjust the balance. I mainly use it for quick views of the Moon and planets. Bogen makes a 410 gear head, but the video head works fine except around zenith. Scope weighs in at 3 lbs, but feels like 1 lbs.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics