Photo

Another (better!) Jupiter from ASI120MM cam-150%!

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:28 AM

Hi again - I've had cloudy weather the last 2 nights so I sat down and did a check through the rgb sets and found at least 2 so far that are better (imho) than the one I posted in my other current thread...

I intend re-processing all the "good 'uns" when I get back home because this (uncalibrated) laptop is quite deficient re processing but I was impressed by a fairly quick processing of this avi, it being 14 minutes after the aforementioned thread's image...and about 40 minutes before Jupiter's culmination.

I say "quick" because I just took the .fits files straight out of Registax and did an rgb combine without any prior deconvolution on each channel beforehand (my usual, preferred practice) and then applied decon to the RGB after combining...

One reason for making this a seperate thread was to give anyone interested some rough guidelines for camera settings on the ASI120MM mono camera: capture and processing are as follows:

Used 512X400 resolution in FireCapture @ 80fps capturing each channel for 60 seconds: 4729 frames captured in each of R,G & B.

Gamma = "50"
Gain R=53, G=53, B=65
Histograms each 81/82%
Exposure = 12.5mS

28 MAPs in AS!2 (26 around disk and one each for GRS and Junior) with 1.5X drizzle, noise robusity 4 and 3000 frames selected out of a smidgen under 4800 frames total in each channel (approximately 52% - 55% of the best frame's quality.)

12 iterations or 0.8 cw Maximum Entropy in AstraImage after rgb combine.....taken as .tif into CS3 and gamma dropped to 0.86, blue levels adjustment to 0.92 on middle slider and a curves adjustment of 195/195 followed by a single application of "Dust & Scratches" which I faded to 28% and then image reduction to 80% for the 120% image, and another on top of this to 85% for the capture scale image.....canvass resized and text added.....finally saved each as .psd's and .png24's.

Down the track a proper full reprocessing and a WinJupos compilation of this and the 2 rgb sets before it! :)

#2 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

.....and the capture scale image.

#3 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

.....what I particularly like about this image is that there is an amount of fine detail in the GRS "wake" that was much less defined in the previous rgb capture I posted. :)

#4 martus

martus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

God, it's beautiful, great Darryl! :waytogo: :waytogo: :waytogo:

Regards,
martus

#5 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Great results Darryl :applause: Looks like that camera can deliver the goods without too much jumping through hoops...how do you think it stacks up for image quality and ease of use against the current run of x618 cams?

Clear Skies,
Brian :waytogo:

#6 Rankinstudio

Rankinstudio

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Southern UT

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:51 PM

Any idea what the price range on this camera is? Thanks :)

#7 lcd1080

lcd1080

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

Oh my gosh Darryl you didn't need to be in the Northern hemisphere after all, all you needed was that camera and a little time to sort through your data. The results are spectacular for 48.6 degrees elevation.

Pete

#8 Mick Hyde

Mick Hyde

Apollo

• Loc: Swindon, UK

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:28 PM

Lovely resolution.

#9 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:36 PM

Thank you Martus, Brian, David Pete and Mick! :)

Brian - Sam got me interested when he emailed me a few months back with some pretty telling comparisons between the ASI120MM & DMK618.....and since then it was a marathon effort between Sam, Torsten myself and Emil to get the capture software working smoothly - very mainly due to the efforts of Torsten for FireCapture builds, & Sam for driver improvements!

I gave some pointers elsewhere to what I'd be asking about any new camera purchase - suffice to say I don't think my PGR Flea3 is going to see too much action for now and when Saturn is sufficiently high (very soon!) :grin:

David - the ASI120MM sells for a smidgin under $300...!! :shocked: :grin:

I didn't include the R6 settings I used for this process above.....here is the complete rundown of that processing - but of course all images folks take have to be treated individually!!! :graduate:

I used 512X400 resolution in FireCapture @ 80fps capturing each channel for 60 seconds: 4729 frames captured in each of R,G & B.

Gamma = "50"
Gain R=53, G=53, B=65
Histograms each 81/82%
Exposure = 12.5mS

28 MAPs in AS!2.....26 across the disk of Jove (9, sized 200 & 17 sized 140) and one each for GRS (70) and Junior (40) with 1.5X drizzle, Quality Estimator "Gradient" and noise robusity 4, "Normalize Stack" value 55%.....3000 frames selected out of 4729 frames total in each channel ( this represents including frames down to 52% - 55% of the best frame's quality.)

The resulting .png file dropped into Registax6 and a Histogram stretch range 0-235 with default "smoothness" value.

Wavelets linked and set @ "100" for #1 with a Denoise vale of 0.05 & Sharpen = 0.11.....#2 slider also "100" with Denoise = 0.35 & Sharpen left at the default value "0.10"

12 iterations or 0.8 cw Maximum Entropy in AstraImage after rgb combine.....taken as .tif into CS3 and gamma dropped to 0.86, blue levels adjustment to 0.92 on middle slider and a curves adjustment of 195/195 followed by a single application of "Dust & Scratches" which I faded to 28% and then image reduction to 80% for the 120% image, and another on top of this to 85% for the capture scale image.....canvass resized and text added.....finally saved each as .psd's and .png24's.

#10 DesertRat

DesertRat

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Valley of the Sun

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Wow! Looks like a N hemi image Darryl! Thats it - you'll be spoiled now until Saturn! :)

Glenn

#11 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:08 PM

Wow! Looks like a N hemi image Darryl! Thats it - you'll be spoiled now until Saturn! :)
Glenn

Heh-hee Glenn, Saturn's already up 1.5 hours before the Sun..! :shocked: :grin:

Here's a more orthodox processing for me - decon on each channel before rgb combine in AstraImage.....still on the laptop.....I'll probably wait to do a WinJupos job. :)

#12 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

.....or a more "sedate" 120% of capture scale rendition: more befitting of me since I entered my 64th year yesterday!!! :shakecane: :lol:

#13 joelimite

joelimite

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Colorado Springs, CO

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:13 AM

Stunning capture, Kokatha Man! Nicely processed, too!

#14 wenjha

wenjha

Vendor

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: SuZhou China

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:29 AM

Very nice!
150% resize supprised us!

#15 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks Joel & Sam - there's still more to be squeezed out of these images as I'm finding out right now in a repro with a slightly different approach (one of the beauties of great data! :)) and that's not even thinking about a WinJupos compilation!

Here are the individual channels from this particular RGB image.....as you know Sam, your cameras are especially sensitive in the green spectrum but I don't think the blue channel capabilities are to be sneezed at - and although iR742nM is definitely not at the top of the QE responses I have captured some very nice iR742nM images regardless..!

#16 martus

martus

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Czech Republic

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:54 AM

These fine details are incredible, fantastic images RGB channels ! I like it very much! excellent work Darryl!!

Regards,
martus

#17 tjensen

tjensen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chapel Hill, NC

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Amazing images. What frame rates are you using? How do you find the sensitivity of the CMOS camera compared to the Flea3?

#18 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thank you Martus and Tim.....Tim, 9 posts above I've articulated the "full monty" of processing for this rgb, although the supersized 150% image and the 120% one below it were done the more conventional way with deconvolution applied to each channel before rgb combining in AstraImage. :)

Whilst preparing the individual channels for the BAA and this thread I happened upon another possibility to draw out more from the image without any compromises...and I want to finish that to see if it lives up to expectations... :bow:

I wish I could purchase a cloud filter.....just thrown in the towel waiting for a break, even though intermittently we could see that Jove was revealing some mighty fine details tonight!!! :(

As to the cameras, I haven't done anything remotely objective re comparing them.....but my gut feeling had me opting for the ASI120MM for all imaging opportunities this week - and I think it paid off..! :question: :grin:

Saturn in a few weeks time :grin: should give me much more opportunity to properly compare the two cameras.....

#19 sfugardi

sfugardi

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Mo, hat's off to you on this beauty! Besides the super high quality, you collected the data at interesting settings, with a rather bright histogram 81-82% but a low gamma 50. I am not sure is 50 means 50% of 1.00 or something else, but the combination of the 2 are impressive. Thanks for posting the images and the method. I saved it and will try it on my new data I get tonight. Excellent work

Regards,
Steve

#20 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Mo, hat's off to you on this beauty! Besides the super high quality, you collected the data at interesting settings, with a rather bright histogram 81-82% but a low gamma 50. I am not sure is 50 means 50% of 1.00 or something else, but the combination of the 2 are impressive. Thanks for posting the images and the method. I saved it and will try it on my new data I get tonight. Excellent work

Regards,
Steve

Thanks Steve - despite the mostly cloud-affected weather down here I don't feel too bad after collecting these captures...probably a minor miracle for Oz this apparition tbh... :question: :grin:

I've shot at around 80% histo's for quite awhile nowadays, anything much more and burnout becomes an issue but going lower can also result in saturation/vibrancy issues for me where you get drab colouration with washed-out appearances.....which I definitely want to avoid because it's well-nigh imposible to correct properly in post-processing - just tipping 80% on the histo seems to achieve a nice balance on these issues... :)

"Gamma = 50" is a specific ASI120MM/FireCapture value that equates to the conventional "Gamma = 1" or "linearity" which is a standard setting for gamma during capture.....some folks advocate higher gamma settings during capture and others think that is a definite "no-no" - I allways presumed "Default" gamma using the Flea3 was "linearity" but I may be wrong there... :question:

Good luck for tonight's imaging session! :waytogo:

#21 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

I now have my camera... Super fast shipping Sam. Kudos!

So I am using fire capture and find that using the setting you gave I get about 40fps, I get a frame rate suspiciously close to 1/2 the advertised frame rate on nearly every setting. This leads me to wonder if the problem lies between the chair and the keyboard. I have checked the config file and made changes to get full resolution ect. I keep thinking I must be missing something. I am using USB2 is that a problem>

Besides this frame rate thing this camera sure seems like the deal on the market right now. I have put it through some paces indoors, of course 1/4 mile visibility and 200' overcast clouds predicted for the next few days, and can't seem to drum up any issues with the rolling shutter. All I can find is a high resolution, fairly low noise, very light sensitive camera.

#22 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:30 PM

I now have my camera... Super fast shipping Sam. Kudos!

So I am using fire capture and find that using the setting you gave I get about 40fps, I get a frame rate suspiciously close to 1/2 the advertised frame rate on nearly every setting. This leads me to wonder if the problem lies between the chair and the keyboard. I have checked the config file and made changes to get full resolution ect. I keep thinking I must be missing something. I am using USB2 is that a problem>

Besides this frame rate thing this camera sure seems like the deal on the market right now. I have put it through some paces indoors, of course 1/4 mile visibility and 200' overcast clouds predicted for the next few days, and can't seem to drum up any issues with the rolling shutter. All I can find is a high resolution, fairly low noise, very light sensitive camera.

Ed - I use Torsten's "Build #32" of the beta2.2 version website.....I see on that page of his (beta 2.2) under "Changes" that he lists:

•improved support for ASI cameras (build #29)

but that doesn't seem right/up to date (we went past that to Build #32) so I think you'd best email him to find out the score..! :)

He gets mountains of emails constantly so it may take awhile (and sometimes emails bounce back to you as "undeliverable") so perhaps contact Sam also who might be able to expedite things for you from his end.

Let us know if there are any problems - I've given some settings up above in this thread.....when you get the right version of FireCapture, to change resolutions and framerates click the ROI radio button, type in the specific resolution values (from the list) and then click the arrow to the right hand side of the values you have typed.....the screensize will then change to what you want and you then change the exposure.....there are actually several exposure ranges but the default is 5 - 30mSeconds which is all we ever use - the up & down arrow keys are better to use than the slider itself and allows more precise increments...

I will put together a "User's Manual" pretty soon but just post or PM me if you get stuck in any ways..! :grin:

#23 edsplace

edsplace

Ranger 4

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

I seem to be using 2.2 beta (build #35) - maybe coding issue.

#24 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

.....sorry Ed - I meant to also add that there is an icon (shown in screenshot image here) that if you click on brings up a little window.....you should click on the "ROI Misc" tab up the top of that (middle one) and make sure "Hi speed" is ticked.

Don't play with any other settings there... :)

Attached Files

#25 Kokatha man

Kokatha man

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:47 PM

.....and the window itself.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics