• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 CharlesW

CharlesW

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:08 PM

I hope I'm not being too simplistic but I have read many posts here about Nexstar crashes being related to the power pin. I had the same problem. After splitting the pin everything was fine but I was looking for a trick way to secure the power cord to the fork arm to relieve the stress on the connector. After pondering this for a couple of days my wife just grabbed the cord and tied it around the fork handle with an overhand knot. Problem solved and no stress on the connector.

#2 Koen Dierckens

Koen Dierckens

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Antwerp, Belgium

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:17 PM

Quick 'n dirty. :smash:

#3 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• Loc: los angeles

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

That's exactly the first thing I did when I got my CPC, immediately upon noticing how vulnerable that pin arrangement looked.

#4 mclewis1

mclewis1

Thread Killer

• ****-
  • Loc: New Brunswick, Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

Yes, quick and simple solution. Just be sure that you don't get the cord wrapped up during a long slew. You don't want it pulled tight (bad for both the cable and the scope's clutches and motors).

#5 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:58 PM

This power pack from Starizona is the ultimate cord wrap cure:

http://starizona.com...-P3398C119.aspx :mad:

Rides right on top of the mount and never a worry about stretched cords or bent pins. One of the most useful accessories for my CPC.

#6 Cellofan

Cellofan

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Venice - Italy

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

I replaced the power jack with a microphone jack 3-pin with a button fastening of a famous company internazopnale of equipment for radio amateurs.

#7 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

I always do that. It moves the cord well away from the base and tripod legs, so it doesn't catch on much.
Brian

#8 poppachris

poppachris

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:10 PM

I use a strip of Velcro to support the cord from the Fork arm. Works great! And I can sucure other cords at the same time, like Dew Heater power, camera USB, etc.

#9 JoeR

JoeR

Apollo

• Loc: Columbus, OH

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:09 PM

I loop it through the fork arm handle along with the dew heater. I’ve broken a couple cords in the past on the landing pad but now I set the cordwrap function “off” and watch it carefully, holding the power supply on long slews. It’s a risk but juts too annoying when you’re observing something in the North and the mount wants to take you on a slow virtually 360° slew around to another object that’s almost right next to it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics