Jupiter 7/10 seeing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

• Loc: USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

This observation was made just past midnight a half hour into Thanksgiving morning. The seeing was great. Not excellent but it was the best Ive had on Jupiter in some time wirth this scope. Thermal issues were worked out and it turned out to be a good hours long observation... maybe a little longer...

My prime interest was in the SEB. The wake was fluttering with details that I could never get the whole of but I made out the most general structuring. At 173x to 200x the three pips of or white spots following the GRS would materialize often then vanish, never completely b ut morph into a confused area. I really gave patience here and observed cat like for those better moments. Normally the 240x plossl is tops for Jupiter as all seems to pop nicest with a nice clean edge. In the case of the tangle of detail here the complexity of contrasts and ever the fluttering britling details it became obvious that I flat out needed to see it closer without the jumble. With that I jumped up to 260x and that was better, even then onto 303x and that was fine too. I was pleasantly takwn aback by the fact that the jovian limb wasnt showing typical amibiguety of focus as the seeing here in CT will often not permit such things. Well what the heck, so in goes my 5mm Abbe Orthoscopic and 364x and let me tell you THAT was the ticket. The hat trick of fluttering details layed down about as good as it was going to get. The white spots were chambered between these dark projections that each had a secific width, waist and tapering shape complete with transitory gradient value. The old conventional wisdom of 200-240x being max and soft ever after took a holiday tonight. These were features mere seconds of arc wide and the same way magnifications one might use on a 4" Mars were clearly paying dividends here. Im not sure if its because of the features or the orthoscopics versus barlowed plossls to get the same magnification but while my old high end assumption for Jupiter was 275x on a 9/10 night that was clearly redefined tonight in 7/10 seeing. The WHOLE of Jupiter was best at 200x to 240x but the details just seconds wide, or in the case of the sub arc second BA the other night, made the use of these high power oculars not just a nice thing to have but necessary. I am sooooo glad I got these Abbes.

For all that theres still features and intensities in the SEB that were persistent but too too flighty to mark with certainty with a pencil. I just COULDNT reliably call it and to that affect I have some regret in conveying the SEB as I have as it was alive and fluttering with details - I just COULDNT map all of them.

The rest was less work than the SEB safari, but they were fun nonetheless and challenging too. That GRS II of the North shown as a soft grey intrusion into an other wise clean area. Too the NEB had these darker intensities and one in particular that was at an angle and sausage like. I couldnt nail the white spots in the south but this little guy was there in all its murky glory. The festoons had classic sweeps. In ther past 9/10 seeing has shown the whipped swirls BETWEEN the festoons which is a rare eyefull, but tonight it was merely the festoons un to thyemselves and the gentle contrast gradients bordering the belts. At the base of the festoons some white spots or areas in the EZ were the whitest things on the planet. subtly but clear. The NTB was unusual I saw some dips and such in it an dits northern edge was sharper than its southern and most interestingly WIDENED at the following end. The last thing observed was this little thin light toned zone with some darker belting contrasting it. This was a subtle feature but rewarding in that eye candy way those threshold features flicker with curiousity.

I didnt have any Europa transit this time nor sub arc second spot off the GRS as it rotated off before I got set up. Still this was a busy observation.

A side note I tried for Ganymede detail at the wonderful 364x and then 450x again, abbes and all for naught. All it highlighted was that 7/10 isnt 9/10 and the 450x orb was too smeared to settle down. It takes an unusually small target like this and unusually high magnification to reveal the wall of seeing that exists between these two seeing values. They look close but either youve got 9 or youve got 7 seeing and wishfull thinking doesnt fix it. But I kn ow Ill never quit wishing till that seeing comes around again.

Hope you like.

Pete

Attached Files

#2 Andrev

Andrev

Skylab

• Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Pete.

Wow again... For sure I didn't see this one before the smaller image. Now this is even more beautiful. Thanks for posting. You are very talented.

Andre.

#3 chrisrnuttall

chrisrnuttall

Professor Emeritus

• Loc: York, England

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:09 PM

Pete

that's beautiful, The SEB details are spot on, the series of white 'blobs' the tapering wedge of dark brown below them, the rich edge to the GRS hollow. The Stb is good too.
You caught more than me in the NEB and the EZ.

Is this done with pastel pencils? it's lovely and smooth, but without being over worked, still some texture to be seen.
I really like it, it's nice to see your work after what seems like a while.

thanks for posting.

#4 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 05:45 PM

Hi Guys,

Andre thanks for the kind words! I've appreciated your work as well.

Chris, yes this is all done with the pastels I told you about. I flirted with the idea of oil pastels but they were too unforgiving of changes made post application. Classic dry pastels prove far better, blend effortlessly and remove well with white or kneaded eraser. I have veloure paper but these are done on plain old copier. I've got mixed feelings with it. Its wonderful as I have the oblate template of Jupiter all accounted for but the paper quality is ... well... plain afterall. I want to see about getting Jupiter templates PRINTED on veloure paper. There's a buttery quality to the blend I can't get with thin plain copier paper. Your work has this creamy feel about the richness of its colors and so on. The end result with the copier paper is the work looks more like a watercolor.

A frustrating side note: I was so careful when I did these but when I imaged them with the Canon it had these hotspots from glare even a finger print so I'm kinda working out the photo shoot thing too. Full spectrum bulbs made all the difference while cool white flouredcent lighting was AWFUL.

Thanks for the words Chris and thanks for suggesting pastels and veloure!

Pete

#5 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Pete, I am so happy you posted some great sketches. I can look at them and tell you had a great view. That's key. I know you don't like 6/10 seeing, but you managed to see right through it. Your images are very much like what I see in better seeing.

Last night I just spent some quality time with the GRS and a cup of Joe. I really wanted to just observe color and, OMG, the GRS wake. It is as you described it. So many fine wisps intertwined with brighter features. Recently, I have seen the bright knots, too, but they were not as prominent last night.

Also, I spotted a white oval just south of the GRS trailing ansae. There may have been one in front of it, more of a hollow in the dark belt just south of BA. But, the one white oval, I managed to hold it steady for a few seconds nearly a dozen times. It's is incredibly small.

#6 frank5817

frank5817

Cosmos

• Loc: Illinois

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:49 PM

Pete,

That is an impressive fine sketch. You stay with Jupiter very well and get all the good out of the seeing. The colors you use work very,very well.

Frank :)

#7 JimPie

JimPie

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: S.E.Michigan

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

Pete,
That's a great sketch. Your rendering shows a lot of detail in the SEB ( even though you couldn't map all of them).
Are you really using 364x and more in your 70mm when seeing is good?

#8 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

Noooo that was 120x with the 70mm and 364x with the 203mm . Even then that was a limited application as it was good for the smallest finest details approaching the diffraction limit. Thanks for the complements Jim

Pete
I DID actually put 300x through the 70mm one 7/10 night a couple years ago on the moon. Naturally it was counterproductive but a nice effort!

Pete

#9 Jef De Wit

Jef De Wit

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Hove, Belgium

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hope you like.

Sure I do!

#10 niteskystargazer

niteskystargazer

Gemini

• Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

Pete,

Very good sketch of Jupiter :).

CS,KLU,

:thanx:,

Tom

#11 Special Ed

Special Ed

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

Pete,

This ia a very nice work up of the King. :) The turbulence following the GRS is quite difficult to render--you've given a good impression of its appearance to the visual observer.

#12 azure1961p

azure1961p

Voyager 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 AM

Thanks guys.

Mike I kinda wish I just concentrated on the SEB and its surrounding area as the things I couldn't nail left me feeling... not defeated but not completed either. I might just do a strip sketch of that latitude if I get the region again with good seeing .

Jeff and Tom thanks.

Pete

#13 Asbytec

Asbytec

Guy in a furry hat

• Loc: La Union, PI

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 AM

Yea, Pete, I really like this one. It tells me you had a great night.

#14 Chopin

Chopin

Canis Insanus

• Loc: In the doghouse.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Man, Pete, I just love your technique. :bow:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics