• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 obewan1

obewan1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson, NH, USA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:48 PM

howdy - After doing some research I've decided on the Mewlon versus the HD11 do to what appears to be better cooldown/dew control and more "apo" like views. Also, I'm only interested in planets, globs/clusters, and bright deep space objects. I don't have access to good dark skys (live in southern New Hampshire) and I'm visual only, no AP. My background is I'm just getting back into astronomy after a long absence and I'm in my midlife crisis :smirk: I have the oppourtunity at this moment to purchase what I would consider my dream scope(s). Looking at a 4" fast refractor also for wideviews. My Mewlon questions are: What are your favorite eyepieces to use? Is the 1.6x extender worth purchasing or go with a Televue powermate? What mount do you recommend? I like the T-Rex w/Argo Navis but am thinking for higher mag viewing a german mount or perhaps the Ioptron Pro what be better? The mount must be steady/rock solid, hardly any vibration. I know the Ioptron for the 210 is OK and I like the conveniece of Alt/Az but for the 250 I'm thinking german may be my only choice. I'm probably going for the 250. Like I said, this is my time.... :jump:

#2 obewan1

obewan1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:54 PM

Forgot to mention one thing,,, the Tak mounts are probably more than I can afford at this time. I may be in midlife crisis but still somewhat in control of my senses!

#3 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:24 AM

My Mewlon 210 is rock solid on a DM-6 mount. As the 250 isn't that much heavier I'd be surprised if that doesn't work well too.

With the very long focal length I'm a bit curious what you think you need a barlow lens for?

#4 Edwin

Edwin

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Netherlands

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

If you want a solid mount that is alt/az but also german equatorial, maybe the new AZ EQ6 is somewhat for you.

#5 obewan1

obewan1

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:39 PM

Mark
I like the features of the DM-6 or T-Rex - quick setup, no large battery w/cables, push to, plus with Argo Navis or Sky Comander you know where you are in the sky coordinate wise. How does it work at high magnification, 250X an up? Still very easy to move/keep the object in the FOV? If I'm gonna be looking at a particular object, say Jupiter for an hour+ long, would it be worth it to go motorized tracking or are you good w/push to. Reason for barlow question - will be getting a fast refractor for widefield and didn't know if it is worth while to use w/Mewlon. Guess I should have asked if anyone uses the 1.6x extender and is it worth it for better eye relief versus a high mag eyepiece.

Edwin
Thanks for the AZ EQ6 suggestion.

Randy

#6 Mark9473

Mark9473

Cosmos

• Loc: 51°N 4°E

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

Following Jupiter an hour long on any non-tracking mount is a lot of work; the DM-6 is no different. No issues with vibrations or anything like that, but you've got to keep your attention on the target - and I like to loook around when I'm outside. A tracking mount would definitely be more relaxing. The ease of set-up with the DM-6, independence from the power grid, etc. make it all worthwhile for me. I can (just) manage to lug the whole set-up around the garden in one go. But, as they say, YMMV.

#7 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have a 250 on a pier mounted CGEM. It's been working out just fine. I'm all visual. You definitely want at least a tracking mount. Life is too short to be trying to keep up with the moving sky.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics